Lighting For Plants

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gilli

Gilli
Reaction score
Hiya all!

I have recently changed over to live plants but im not having much luck! I have bought plant food for them but I dont think my lighting is any good. When I started the hobby last year I bought a florescent tube - didnt really pay much attention to which type, but now I think if im right im going to need a special tube for plant growth?

The plants are fine for a few weeks then they start to die off! What I need to know is what kind of tube I need to ask for and are there different types and if so which is best? I have a 3ft freshwater community tank.

Hiya all!

I have recently changed over to live plants but im not having much luck! I have bought plant food for them but I dont think my lighting is any good. When I started the hobby last year I bought a florescent tube - didnt really pay much attention to which type, but now I think if im right im going to need a special tube for plant growth?

The plants are fine for a few weeks then they start to die off! What I need to know is what kind of tube I need to ask for and are there different types and if so which is best? I have a 3ft freshwater community tank.

Wow i have just posted a similiar topic.

if you go into the lfs/pet shop, they usually have a few diffrent types on display
plant growth
marine
colour enhancing for fish
moonlight

but dont be afraid to ask them and point out which plants it is you are trying to grow, all of mine have regular lighting that came with the tank,hence going for the "weeds" rather than the decent plants
shelagh xxx

You could go to your LFS for advice, but there is a good chance you`ll end up with a lamp x3 the price you should be paying, plus a handful of non aquatic plants.

If your tank is 3 foot with T8 lighting, chances are you have 1 x 30W of lighting. For your tank size, this is not a great deal of light, which is possibly why your plants are suffering. Try plants such as Java fern, Anubias and various mosses.

Plant specific tubes sold in the aquatic hobby are a waste of money. Go to lampspecs and buy some cheap daylight tubes.

Dave.

You could go to your LFS for advice, but there is a good chance you`ll end up with a lamp x3 the price you should be paying, plus a handful of non aquatic plants

only someone reeeaaallly gulible would come away with that lot :lol: and what makes you think the lfs are going to rip him off on a tube??

because a light tube is a light tube basically :lol:

They rip you off on products such as "cycle" so why not make some on "amazing plants only light tubes" ;)

and what makes you think the lfs are going to rip him off on a tube??

Because they add the words "aquatic hobby", which makes the manufacturer think they have the right to bump up the price.

Wait until some company latches on to supplying ammonia for cycling tanks. They will add a zero to the price because it will be for the aquatic hobby. Or am I just being cynical..........

As for the non aquatic plant comment, have a look at many tanks on this forum. It`s not the buyer being gullible, it is the LFS blatantly ripping people off, but still getting away with it!

Dave.

The plants don't care that much about the type of light they just care about the quantity! After that the type of light is all about your personal preference.

You can buy a standard bright white bulb in B&Q for ~£3 or you can pay ~£15 for an aquatic plant version. Most of the tests people have done have shown that the only difference is aesthetic.

As for the non-aquatic plants. Unless you've been in the hoby a long time it's really difficult to tell the difference between aquatic and non-aquatic. One good rule of thumb is whether the plant can support its own weight out of the water (ie does it still stand up right) most aquatic plants can't and most non-aquatic plants can. Obviously there are exceptions but if you're not sure then it can help you err on the side of caution.

I'd agree with the others, aim for low light plants. Cryptocoryns, ferns, mosses are all a good bet, look for plants with dark green leaves as these have more chlorophyll in and need less light to do well. I had good results with Vallis and Amazon swords too when I only had 15w over a 2' tank.

Most reactions

Back