Lighting For Juwel 125

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dunkal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a juwel 125 tank and have the lights for a couple of years. I was wanting to know if there are lights that can fit this tank that are no so bright as my fish always seem to be more active at night. Fish are bloodfin tetra and they seem to a lot happier when lights are off.

Juwel lights aren't the easiest to replace with anything other than juwel branded ones as theyre a bit of an awkward size, plus you won't get any 'less bright' than the ones that came with it, especially after theyve been running a couple of years (definitely need replacing soon anyway btw).

Add more plants, and try some floating ones to shade the tank slightly. How long do you have them on for?

I have had the original lights for 3 years now. I dont even know what type they are? Do you know how much they cost. They seem to be running fine at the moment.

If they are t8 tubes, any make will fit. I'm using arcadia tubes in my rio 125. It's the t5 tubes that are a bit trickier to source, but I'm sure I read somewhere that someone was making tubes that would fit juwel light bars.

I have one bright side and one shaded side in my tank by using salvinia. The flow from the filter keeps it all down one end and I keep it under control by throwing handfuls in the compost bin when it threatens to take over.

I have checked and one is a warmer tube and the other is clear but the tubes say its F18w. I dont know what ones they are though.

Can you post a photo of the bulbs and light unit?

Old unit, lights easily replaced. New unit, bit trickier.

Bulbs should be changed about once a year, their output changes dramatically even if they look the same and still work.

Can you post a photo of the bulbs and light unit?

Old unit, lights easily replaced. New unit, bit trickier.

Bulbs should be changed about once a year, their output changes dramatically even if they look the same and still work.

Its an older unit which i bought early 2009. Sorry I have no idea how to post photos as its saying file to big.

Can you measure the width of the tube? The easiest way would be to put a ruler/tape behind the tube. They will be either 1 inch wide (t8) or 5/8 inch wide (t5).
Once we know how wide they are, that gives the tube size, either t8 or t5. Then it'll be easier to tell you which replacements will fit.

That's t8 tubes which makes things a lot easier as all makes of t8 tubes will fit. You could go for juwel ones (though in my opinion they make the water look yellow). Others make the water look pink.
I have 2 Arcadia Freshwater tubes in my rio 125. I did have one and an Arcadia Original Tropical, but that made the fish look pink and I didn't like it. There are lots of other makes too, it depends what your shops sell, or if you want to buy on-line.

Whichever make you go for, what you need is 18 watt, 24 inch, t8 tubes, or they may be labelled in metric as 18 watt, 600mm, t8 tubes. If you decide to go for Juwel tubes, you'll find them labelled as 590mm. They are the same size; some makes include the end pins in the measurement, some don't. When I changed mine, I measured the old ones and took a tape measure with me to check before buying.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you don't actually need aquarium tubes. You can get tubes much cheaper that are in general shops. They make the same sizes as aquarium tubes.

Thank you for all the useful linformation
biggrin.gif

That's t8 tubes which makes things a lot easier as all makes of t8 tubes will fit. You could go for juwel ones (though in my opinion they make the water look yellow). Others make the water look pink.
I have 2 Arcadia Freshwater tubes in my rio 125. I did have one and an Arcadia Original Tropical, but that made the fish look pink and I didn't like it. There are lots of other makes too, it depends what your shops sell, or if you want to buy on-line.

Whichever make you go for, what you need is 18 watt, 24 inch, t8 tubes, or they may be labelled in metric as 18 watt, 600mm, t8 tubes. If you decide to go for Juwel tubes, you'll find them labelled as 590mm. They are the same size; some makes include the end pins in the measurement, some don't. When I changed mine, I measured the old ones and took a tape measure with me to check before buying.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you don't actually need aquarium tubes. You can get tubes much cheaper that are in general shops. They make the same sizes as aquarium tubes.

Would any light bulbs do or does it have to be from lfs as the lights are water proof. Could I buy similar lights say from a diy store like b and q?

It's the end caps, the white plastic things that screw over where the tube fits in to the holder, that's the waterproof bit. They are supposed to be replaced every year in case the rubber seal inside them perishes. The tubes themselves are not water resistant, that's why you need the end caps. These are what I mean http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=639&q=juwel+end+caps&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7935695653526561512&sa=X&ei=mUGNT_n6DcjA0QXSp5n7DA&ved=0CGEQ8wIwBA There are t8 and t5 versions so if you get new ones make sure they are t8.

As for the tubes, you can buy them anywhere. The only thing I would check is if you have plants you may need to get a certain type. I don't have many plants, just java fern, so I haven't a clue about what plants require, I'm afraid. But if you don't have live plants, any tube will do so long as they are the same size as the ones you already have.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back