Lighting, Fertiliser And Co2 Calculator.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dan Robbins

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As we all know, plants require lighting, CO2 and nutrients for growth, if any of these parameters fluctuate or are out of a "functional window" we have problems with algae or nutrient deficient plants etc.
So, hopefully, i am going to create an online calculator which would be able to give the required amount of CO2 and Nutrients required to match your lighting.
To do this, i first require your participation.

If you would like to help, this would create a great tool, especially for those less experienced or who think of the idea of a planted aquarium an intimidating concept.

What I require from you:
Tank capacity (litres), Lighting specs (Watts, Lux, Lumens) and Plant stocking. This is vague and open to different interpretation. So, please try to judge your plant stocking by the following.

Low: Plants accommodate up to 20% of tank base area.
Medium low: Plants accommodate 20-40% of tank base area.
Medium: Plants accommodate 40-60% tank base area.
Medium high: Plants accommodate 60-80% tank base area.
High: Plants accommodate 80-100% tank base area.

1. If there is anybody there with a CO2 reactor, you are required! I need a reactor or other method with 100% efficiency of dissolving CO2 for accuracy.
Please can I have details of your CO2 input and also your pH and KH change throughout a day. As many measurements as possible would be great. e.g . CO2 turned on at 9am pH 7.2, 12pm pH 7, 3pm pH 6.9, 6pm pH 6.8, 9pm CO2 turns off pH 6.5. 1 bubble per second while CO2 is on.
This is to determine the CO2 requirements of plants in respect to lighting.

2. For those who have Iron or Magnesium test kits, dose your aquarium as and when you usually would, take a test (please specify which) and please retest once a day and record your measurements up to the point where you would usually dose again Please also post your average pH and KH of your aquariums also. This is to determine plants trace element requirements with respect to lighting and CO2 concentrations.

With this data, I will be able to create an accurate calculator which will tell you your required CO2 input and dosing for aquarium stocking and your lighting. I need as many participants as possible for accuracy so your help would be greatly appreciated.
D. Robbins

Asking people to turn off their CO2 is going to cause them Staghorn and Black Brush Algae outbreaks mate, maybe even a sudden start of Hair Algae. Mines very high LED lit, loaded with CO2 and ferts 80-100% planted once grown in so might be another problem if peoples aquascapes are growing in as the plant mass will change hugely. Just a thought.

Thanks, See edit.

An example calculator will look like this:

Tank Size ( 180 litre) Plant stocking ( Medium stocking ) Lighting power (54w)

Based off your results, you will require a CO2 input of
1 bubble every 3 second for 8 hours a day using a calcium reactor or,
1 bubble every second for 8 hours a day using a glass CO2 diffuser.
You will require to fertilise with 5ml of trace elements once a week to meet your plants requirements and avoid algae problems or plant malnourishment.

Your tank is LOW LIGHT: Suitable plants for your aquarium: Vallisneria, Java fern, Java mass.

Obviously these are crude examples, and this example is there to give you an idea of the final calculator output.

I like the idea, Calculators are cool I've built a few myself...but the area you're going in to is too subjective IMO. Even if you were able to gather some of the data I'd disagree with all test kit readings - Then it gets weird...age of lights, water depth, flow, substrate actual plant mass rather than guess, growth rates etc etc etc
There's too much going on. Sry.

IMO

Also diffusion methods, such as my atomizer which gives near 100% diffusion and is on 1bps in a 90 litre whereas my glass diffuser in my 35 litre on 2bps and both are giving 30ppm.

I like the idea, Calculators are cool I've built a few myself...but the area you're going in to is too subjective IMO. Even if you were able to gather some of the data I'd disagree with all test kit readings - Then it gets weird...age of lights, water depth, flow, substrate actual plant mass rather than guess, growth rates etc etc etc
There's too much going on. Sry.
Yep, I am quite aware of the problems in this study. I would undertake the study myself but haven't got the time or recourses to do so at this time.
In theory, CO2 uptake would depend on plant mass, but this would be incredibly impractical so as you rightly said, the study is subject to different judgement.

Also diffusion methods, such as my atomizer which gives near 100% diffusion and is on 1bps in a 90 litre whereas my glass diffuser in my 35 litre on 2bps and both are giving 30ppm.

True, but your ppm is dependent on your plant growth, which is dependent on your lighting and nutrient, this is very reason for my plan.

What you have to remember, is that the correlation has not got too accurate as any small deviations from the r value will not have result in a unusable value. Plants are adaptive, and will grow, and grow well within a surprisingly large window of variables.
What is required from this is a large number of participants.

A point which has come out of this discussion, Please, if you would like to take part, POST A PICTURE OF YOUR AQUARIUM in its current state. Therefore, i can also judge the density of its planting, and is eliminating the differences in judgement.

I was talking about CO2 used after you said its dependant on nutrient and lighting, it's actually more dependant on lighting, tank size, plant mass and flow. Nutrients are dependant on CO2 and light, flow and plant mass.

CO2 dissolution is more dependent on factors such as temperature, pH, KH, tank volume and particularly surface area.
If you would like a full step by step guide as to how i plan to conduct this study, please PM me and I will happily explain it to you.
Dan

Is this project for fun or for skool etc - as an excercise in coding a calculator?

I can't help but think there'd be a more accurate or useful opportunity to study something along the lines of PAR and/or playing with the WPG rule to make it definitively modern.
Ultimately we know PPM CO2 wants to be about 30, Nitrate 20-30, phosphate 1-3, potassium 20-30 and as nutrients dont cause alage there's nothing special there....but the lighting is always a bit of a guess......par, watts, colour, gallonage, tank depth - tank depth in realation too capacity.....Just seems more useful to me.

Never been one to think of tank capacity as a variable for working out light requirements or nutrients.

My 155 l tank is 2ft tall, where my last 150l tank was 1ft tall. The new tank has a much smaller footprint, albeit larger capacity than the old one. The light is spread over a smaller area. Thats why i had major issues with the WPG rule. It never took into account thank dimensions, only the capacity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back