Light Timing Switches.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cheers guys!  My nearest B&Q is a bit of a drive so I thought I'd check the local electrical stores first.  I found a very similar looking slimline model in the local Poundstretcher for £3.50 each.  Will give them a try.  If they don't work out I'll try those digital ones!

Oh I did check the instructions and it says they shouldn't be used on an extension socket :blush:  Is it going to be a fire hazard if I do?

Just covering their own backs Daize, each timer has a 13 amp max load rating, it's just like an individual 13amp 3 pin plug,  if you have 6 outlets on the end of your extension your maximum load should still not exceed 13 amps you'll be OK plus if your sockets are protected at the mains by RCD's MCB's any fire hazard is greatly reduced, having timers on trailing extensions the dial just needs to have a clear path to ensure correct operation.

Ok cheers!  I thought it would be okay but I'm guessing I shouldn't put the heater on the same extension.

I've got 1 digital working without problem for nine months and 3 mechanicals a few months newer, one already almost broken, the clips won't go down on certain places.
From my experience, I dread changing the time on the mechanicals, drives me nuts and on mine the minimum is 2hrs but I overlooked that when ordering online. I've often set them up by accident to come on at 4 instead of 6pm, etc.. and their keep up with the real timing is way off.... I am sure there are better ones and of course each of mine is occupying two sockets almost.
From what I've read, some digital can't handle fluorescent lights, hence failing but mine hasn't yet.

My latest investement was a power management system which claims to support all types of lights. Mine has got 4 individually programmable sockets that can be set precisely to the minute, and 2 unmanaged sockets which can only be switched on or off.  It comes with a few other extras like surge protection but the inconvenience or convenience is that it needs to be connected to a computer to reprogram the timer. It's also large enough but at least saves you buying an extension lead. I use it on my LEDs which have individual leads for each strip. I've got this model below:

https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/product/ENER011

snazy said:
I've got 1 digital working without problem for nine months and 3 mechanicals a few months newer, one already almost broken, the clips won't go down on certain places.
From my experience, I dread changing the time on the mechanicals, drives me nuts and on mine the minimum is 2hrs but I overlooked that when ordering online. I've often set them up by accident to come on at 4 instead of 6pm, etc.. and their keep up with the real timing is way off.... I am sure there are better ones and of course each of mine is occupying two sockets almost.
From what I've read, some digital can't handle fluorescent lights, hence failing but mine hasn't yet.

My latest investement was a power management system which claims to support all types of lights. Mine has got 4 individually programmable sockets that can be set precisely to the minute, and 2 unmanaged sockets which can only be switched on or off.  It comes with a few other extras like surge protection but the inconvenience or convenience is that it needs to be connected to a computer to reprogram the timer. It's also large enough but at least saves you buying an extension lead. I use it on my LEDs which have individual leads for each strip. I've got this model below:

https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/product/ENER011
NICE! Sounds like your a bit of a gadget geek like me:)

It works very well Slim, never regretted buying it.

id like to thank you all for your great feed back. a lot of food for thought on future purchases. for the moment though I found some mechanical ones in home bargains for £1.99. so I bought one yesterday and put it on my main tank light. working ok so far. had it with those digital ones. I re set the lot and gave them another go but every one of them re set after 3 days.

When I have the funds.. those programmable ones look wicked :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back