Let's See All Those Flowerhorns!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

he may be up for sale if anyone is interested?
Your flowerhorn may be going up for sale!?!? Why? I'd never want to part with such a fish. I can only hope my flowerhorn turns out anywhere as nice yours....
possibly....

hes currently in a com tank and doesnt mind other fish but i want to change the scape which involves lots of wood and he may require more room than he will have

Here's my first Thai Silk juvy
laugh.gif

thaisilk2copy.jpg

thaisilk3.jpg

thaisilk4.jpg

Here's my first Thai Silk juvy
laugh.gif

thaisilk2copy.jpg

thaisilk3.jpg

thaisilk4.jpg
Sweet :good: it should grow very quick as mine has. what size tank is he/she in? What are the tank mates?

Flowerhorns don't usually do very well in community tanks as they get very aggressive as they grow. My thai silk flowerhorn is 5 inches in length now and has killed a 6 inch jack Dempsey and a 7 inch buttikoferi. He's now in the tank alone as he's just too aggressive

He's in a 75 gallon tank with a Banded Leporinus, a Peacock Bass, A Rope Fish, 2 Senegales Bichir and some carnivorous characins. He's the smallest fish in the tank.

I bought my Thai Silk on impulse... only to realize I have no space for him.
no.gif
I guess this grow out tank would do for now. Maybe in time, I'll get him his own space.

He's in a 75 gallon tank with a Banded Leporinus, a Peacock Bass, A Rope Fish, 2 Senegales Bichir and some carnivorous characins. He's the smallest fish in the tank.

I bought my Thai Silk on impulse... only to realize I have no space for him.
no.gif
I guess this grow out tank would do for now. Maybe in time, I'll get him his own space.
The fish you have will be ok in a 75 gal apart from the bass. They need around 125 gal+. Don't be surprised if the flowerhorn takes over the tank and starts to kill tank mates as it grows. Mine was no threat what so ever until he got to a little over 3 inches and then his attitude changed almost instantly. Not saying it will definitely happen with yours but iv owned alot of cichlids like oscars, severums, firemouths, jewels, red devil, red terror, jaguars, jack dempseys and buttikoferi and the flowerhorn is by far the most aggressive even though he's still only 5 inches. The only cichlid iv had that was more aggressive was a dovii/wolf cichlid.

Flowerhorns need a minimum of 55 gallons to themselves but a 75 is obviously better. Mines alone in a 125 gal and like I said I can't add anything with him.

I got 2 videos of my thai silk on YouTube... Feel free to take a look.. My username is dbanner2804... Mine was an impulse buy too but now I'm so happy I got him... Even if it means having a big tank with only 1 fish :) he looks fab IMO and has so much personality. He eats from my hands and does funny loops to get my attention :)

My Thai Silk seems stable now. He's got tattered fins. A result of the bass showing his dominance. They are friends now B-)

ronthai1.jpg

ronthai2.jpg

My Thai Silk seems stable now. He's got tattered fins. A result of the bass showing his dominance. They are friends now B-)

ronthai1.jpg

ronthai2.jpg
Glad to hear he has settled in. When the flowerhorn gets comfortable in the tank he will likely bully everything in the tank... But... The peacock bass will get to around 2-1/2 feet in length if in big enough tanks (like 300 gallons or more) and they have very big mouths so the bass could possibly eat the flowerhorn without too much effort. Having said that your bass will get nowhere near that size in a tank the size of yours. It is more likely to get stunted because it hasn't got the room to grow. This means it will stop growing on the outside but it's internal organs will continue to grow leading to an early an unpleasant death.

So taking this into account I'd be a lot more concerned of the flowerhorn killing everything else at some point, its not a nice thing to see. They are very aggressive once they mature at around 5-6 inches and they are very terratorial.

Like I said though, nice to see he/she has settled in :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back