Leopard Gecko!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello,
I am getting a leopard gecko soon, the tank i am going to get is 3 foot long 1 foot tall 1 foot back. It has a heat lamp in it. My question is, do i leave the light on 24/7 if not wont it get too cold when it is off?

thanks

S3an!!!

If you are using a light for the heat source i would advise you use a red bulb so that it does not disturb your leo as leos are nocturnal and it must be used on a dimmer stat to control the temperature and running 24/7

other option is use a heat mat on a temperature thermostat and that again must be on 24/7

I don't know anything about lizards but are ceramics an option they might be slightly more expensive but are a lot less work than bulbs. Personally though since they don't have sharp claws I would say a heat mat is definitely the best option.

I don't know anything about lizards but are ceramics an option they might be slightly more expensive but are a lot less work than bulbs. Personally though since they don't have sharp claws I would say a heat mat is definitely the best option.

Heatmats are definatly best for leos

Ceramics are expensive and also you would need a pulse stat for one and that increases the price big time

Pulse stats are cheaper than the dimmer ones you suggested for the light. My one for my new boa cost me £30 on ebay brand new with a night time temperature drop facility. It was only a suggestion and might work out cheaper than using a bulb in the long run. But i agree with you 100% that a heatmat is the way to go.

My friend has a leopard gecko in a tank around that size with a heatmat and he's fine, she did also use a red bulb for extra heat during the winter though (her flat was cold). Whoever said they dont climb or dig was wrong as hers has taken to spending most of his time in the aloe vera plant she used for decoration and digging in its soil :lol:. They make great pets.

BWBettas: I disagree with what you say about a 3ft tank being too big for a leopard gecko depending on age as in the wild they arent restricted with the amount of space to live in.

Betta 5: What are you going to be feeding him/her on? My friend has found brown crickets to be better for hers rather than mealworms as the mealworms werent being digested properly.

Natsuko: if it be a young gecko, it will naturally get weak as it wont be able to catch food. This is the same as people saying bettas can be kept in cups because "IN THE WILD" they are found in puddles. I hate to say it but i disagree wit you dis-agreeing wit me. Boy this is getting confusing. It is well documented that a young gecko will get weak and die if not kept in a smaller enclosure until it is substantially bigger :) in the wild many young geckos die from malnutrition and are preyed apon by fellow geckos and other animals. Therefore a 3 foot should be divided off. Another point is the heat bulb. Geckos need heat to go to their bellies as they need to digest their food. The bulb will deliver heat to their backs :)

Bret

sorry but i have to agree with Bret on this one :rolleyes:
tiny babies would never survive in a 3 ft tank starting of in a small tank and move up as it grows is the only way to go

I have to disagree with you bret. The gecko i am getting is about 5" as are all the ones they sell. I will put his food in a bowl (mealworms, crickets etc) and bring him to the bowl or i will hand feed him. Surly a bigger tank is better. How can they exercise properly and then grow into strong adults?

Sean

:lol: just listen. 5 inches isnt BIG for a leo mine is about that. and he is only 2-4 months old and tehy can live exess of 10 years. graham is alot more experienced than me and he agrees. Listen to the advice or kill your gecko ;)

Bret

Bret I agree with the fact that a baby leo gecko should not be in a 3ft tank as it probably would starve to death although you could just section it so that the food can not escape. However a 5inch leo would be fine in a 3ft tank there is no way it would starve to death esp with crickets roaming about or if it learns where its food is fed from. My friend has had her leo gecko for approx six months in the 3ft tank and he's fine he eats well and loves to roam about. Most leo geckos that are sold in pet shops are no smaller than 4inches (where I live anyway).

Also an FYI for you Bret Leo's live to around 20years which is why my friend got hers and why I'm thinking of getting one, but not for a good few years although mine will only have a 2ft tank to live in as my friend has my old 3ft tank.

Should Betta 5 find that his leo isnt getting his food then he can always restrict the area that the leo has during feeding times and check to ensure that the food is being eaten.

I see where your coming from with the concern about baby leos not getting enough to eat though and agree with you on that so lets not argue. And from what I have just read on the net a leo can get to 6-7 inches so 5inches isnt really small for a leo.

i keep bearded dragons and you must turn the light off at night to simulate the whole " day into night " thing.
as for the tank ive never kept leapords

You dont need to do that though mate ;) get a red light for night time. Wont mess with their night/day sequence as they cant see it :)

Bret

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back