Left Heater On During Water Change

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
I was doing a 75% water change/gravel vac just now in a real rush since my tank smelt so bad i was going to :sick: ( hikari carnavore pellets STINK)

I relized after i had drained almost all water that I forgot to unplug the heater :( it was running "dry" for probably 10 minutes before I noticed. It doesnt feel cracked and I didnt hear any odd noises but now im scared to plug it back in...

Does anyone have any expeirence with heater running dry and shattering after being plugged back in? Would it be better just to buy a new one?
 

I would have thought it'd be okay. Just make sure the heater cooled down before putting water back in the tank.
 
I do that all the time. But I have a nice heater that shuts off on its own when the water is low. If you don't have a heater that's shuts off you could mess your heater up. You can plug it in BUT keep an eye on you tanks temp. Make sure your heater is not messed up. I think I ruined my cheap heater by doing that. Now the stupid thing keeps creeping up to a higher temp then I want. It can not be trusted so I need a new heater for my quarantine tank.
 
Lol I messed up a heater once by leaving it on during a water change.
All of a sudden I heard a loud *POP*.
Didn't know what the heck it was, but finally dawned on me that... uhoh... must've been the heater glass breaking.. and sure enough it was. The bottom part had broken right off.

I still don't turn my heaters off during water changes *shrugs* But most of what we have now have that shatterproof plastic casing.
 
thanks everyone.

its an elite heater so i will check if it has a auto shut off. when i noticed it was still plugged in the orange light wasnt on so maybe it didnt even turn on at all.

im worried about any hairline cracks in the glass that will shatter when its heated. That would be quite a mess to clean up in the tank.

Maybe the fish can survive one night without a heater???? I really dont want to risk it shattering in the tank and having to clean up tiny peices of glass all day.
 
dont trust an elite heater if you have done this!! mine boiled my angel fish :( and i was the kind that left it on during wc
 
dont trust an elite heater if you have done this!! mine boiled my angel fish :( and i was the kind that left it on during wc

:( Sorry to hear about your angelfish. I can't imagine being boiled to death. Poor fishies

I'll be off first thing in the morning to get a new heater. Going for a Stealth so it wont matter if I leave it running dry.

I may be able to find a spare 50W heater but its also an elite that hasnt been used for a couple years so im not sure if i trust it. Also 50W probably wont be enough for a 33G anyways so the fish may be going without heat tonight. I'd say thats better than being boiled to death :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top