Led Floodlight

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Spiceweasel69

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there.

SOOOO confused with lights that my head hurts.

Looking for a new light for my tank, as im going heavily planted. I have looked at some units that have quad T5 24W so a total of 96W

Tank is 150 litres BUT only 2ft long, 2 ft deep and 2ft wide, so not standard - i figure for carpeting plants id need a light with good penetration, however need to be aware of algae problems.

Then i came across this: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec26b93cc

Looking at the stats on the page, would you recommend a 20W or a 30W version. Ill go for the 6500k option of course.

Thanks all.

Look forward to your help.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Id stick with your T5's that's loads of light.

Oh really? What about a 10W unit?

I can have the unit suspended for around £20, whereas the t5s will cost around a hundred and cost more in running.

Cheers Steveo

Ahhh thought you already had the 96watts of T5?

Oh, no sorry. I bought the tank without lights altogether, so i was looking for an economic solution that would also be great for the plants. I did look at the T5s, and still might if the consensus is that the LED floods arent great, however looking on youtube there have been fantastic results with them.

As a sole unit, does the 20W look sufficient, in terms of lumens?

I do appreciate your help.

Many thanks. Ill get one on order and post results. It does look like a cost efficient way to grow plants.

Is there anything else that may help members - PAR readings etc?

Don't bother with those cheapy LED floodlights. I tried a 40 or 50w - cant remember which now (was intended to replace a 70w metal halide), and it was terrible. Looked extremely dim (sadly I don't have a PAR meter to check, but I just can't imagine it was anywhere near the MH), had horrible colour rendition and weird shadows. Sent it back and went back to my MH. Very much not recommended.

Oh thats disappointing.

Not sure what to do now.

Thanks though

You could try a 70w halide? Will cost a bit more to run than LEDs but you can pick them up very cheap on ebay if you keep an eye out. This is what I use on a 3' square tank - http://www.ebay.co.u...8dbc7c50&_uhb=1

Easy to vary the amount of light by just changing the height you suspend it from, and you can buy barndoors (flaps) to block light spillage for about £10.

Not very pretty units mind you, but no worse than the LED floods you were looking at, and the light rendition is really, really nice.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one 50w led on my 2ft cube have it running at about 50-60% and it grows anything I want (glosso,cuba etc.). this is not the floodlight though just the led/driver/heatsink/fan.

Hey there. I have to say I'm rather surprised that you can get such decent lighting on the 'cheap', however I've not had much luck finding 70w halide bulbs. Where would you guys recommend looking?

Hey there. I have to say I'm rather surprised that you can get such decent lighting on the 'cheap', however I've not had much luck finding 70w halide bulbs. Where would you guys recommend looking?

I get all mine from ebay. About £10-15 a pop, last about a year in my experience.

Im gonna just go with a t5 tube set. Id have to suspend a floodlight, whereas i can get a quad t5 tube set for 80 squids, and possibly retrofit it to LED later.

Thanks tho

Most reactions

Back