Leaving fish without food

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

I get worried on topics like this, I think keeping a lot of different setups would probably be absolutely okay. But I can just imagine the warzone if my Africans didnā€™t get food for 10 days

I have to admit that as time passes I often wonder about this issue if/when anything happens to me cos I have no living family, my best friend lives 400 miles away in a different country and I frankly would not trust any of the neighbours (I live in local authority accommodation and the neighbouring flats get new tenants every 6 to 8 months, its a very high turnover and not all of them are exactly pleasant or trustworthy)

I guess it will be a bridge that will need crossing once reached. It was highlighted to me last year when a neighbour died and had no family. They were not discovered for many weeks and they had fish...I took the survivors since the council were about to flush the lot down the loo.

I have to admit that as time passes I often wonder about this issue if/when anything happens to me cos I have no living family, my best friend lives 400 miles away in a different country and I frankly would not trust any of the neighbours (I live in local authority accommodation and the neighbouring flats get new tenants every 6 to 8 months, its a very high turnover and not all of them are exactly pleasant or trustworthy)

I guess it will be a bridge that will need crossing once reached.

I live in the UK @wasmewasntit Iā€™ll drive everyday and feed them for you :) I also wonder what part of the uk your from, judging by some words like ā€˜nowtā€™ and ā€˜matey ā€˜ Iā€™m guessing north?

I used to be down in the south but wanted proper snow, so moved up north.....the first winter, the snow fell where I used to live instead....

I actually tried to message you but your privates are off, I was going to ask lol I too live up north

I would never leave Cichlids for more than a couple of days without food, but virtually every other fish will be fine for a week or two. This is where a fully planted tank is vital to the outcome of you leaving fish to their own devices.

I would never leave Cichlids for more than a couple of days without food, but virtually every other fish will be fine for a week or two. This is where a fully planted tank is vital to the outcome of you leaving fish to their own devices.

I would absolutely love a nice planted tank, I even had a couple of planted tanks when my fish went in, yeah that didnā€™t last long

I would absolutely love a nice planted tank, I even had a couple of planted tanks when my fish went in, yeah that didnā€™t last long
I have live moss and live floaters.....but everything imbetween....nah...not going to happen...I was elsewhere when the green thumb ability was being handed out ;)

I have live moss and live floaters.....but everything imbetween....nah...not going to happen...I was elsewhere when the green thumb ability was being handed out ;)

Haha do you keep cichlids? Or just by choice you havenā€™t put them in?

Ide love to try and keep live plants :( but unfortunately if they arenā€™t made of metal or plastic, they wonā€™t last 5 minutes

You could always buy a few Tropica pots of plants and just drop them into the tank, after washing the fertiliser off first. I use the same method for breeding fish by just dropping a tub or two of dwarf hairgrass into the tank. It's easy to remove them daily to check for eggs.

Have you tried giant Vallisneria and species of Ludwigia Africans tend to leave them alone? I would plant across the back wall of the tank, so the plants were behind them and not in their faces.

You could always buy a few Tropica pots of plants and just drop them into the tank, after washing the fertiliser off first. I use the same method for breeding fish by just dropping a tub or two of dwarf hairgrass into the tank. It's easy to remove them daily to check for eggs.

Iā€™ve been meaning to get hanging plants and I love the look of these and I believe my Africans would leave them alone, just havenā€™t got round to it lol

Have you tried giant Vallisneria and species of Ludwigia Africans tend to leave them alone? I would plant across the back wall of the tank, so the plants were behind them and not in their faces.

Well now you say that, if you look at the back of my tank in TOTM, it does look bare. Iā€™ll give them a go :)

Remember these are not plant eating fish, so all they are doing is getting them out of their territory

Most reactions

Back