Leaches On My Sulawesi Snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meeresstille

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone had to treat their snail for leaches? What treatment did you do and was it successful?

At the moment my Sulawesi snail is sitting in a salt bath of 1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup of tank water. A lot of those nasties are already letting go. They are not dirt falling off, they are wriggling!!!

What puzzles me is, why I haven't noticed them before? I read the snails are infected with them if they are wild caught. I've had her for about 6 months and never seen these things on her before.  
no.gif

you are burning the snail aw well :/
if you added any noew plants then they could have came on there. 

for treating i have no idea, just that if you pull/add salt to the leaches then they puke inside the snail/person. a credit card to scrape them off is how to remove leaches on a person without getting the puke inside you through the bite... besides that i don't know about the snail.. but all the best.

Thank you for your responses BerryAttack and nic1. I knew the salt is not a comfortable situation for the snail either, but at least now the leaches are off. She was 10 minutes in the bath, and as expected produced this mucous to protect herself from the salt.

While she was in the salt bath she stretched herself out which allowed a lot of those leaches to be reached. When I placed her back inside the tank she closed her door, but now she has started to peek out of the shell again. There is no way I could have removed these things off the snail's flesh manually, the snail would just have closed her trap door?

That product "no planaria" might have been the better choice, if I need to do another treatment I will try to get it. Thanks again!

Today the snail is doing just fine, I'm so relieved. She's been climbing all over the the tank again, the glass, the rocks and the plants (although she doesn't get far before the stalks start bending down from her weight). 

I will try to get that "No Planaria" after work tomorrow. Still trying to figure out if I need to do a follow up treatment just to make sure, and if so, how long should I wait before subjecting her to it? Or, should I wait to see any more evidence of leeches being left on her so I don't stress her with treatments that aren't necessary?   

I'm glad she's better now,
I would wait and not salt bathe her unless you see more leeches.
She probably felt relief when she was in the salt bath and stretched out with a satisfied sigh :)

You probably got them all but just keep an eye on her.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back