Layer Of Film

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Well, I set-up a 6gallon tank in my room originally as a holding tank for a Moresby Gudgeon, unfortunatly the Gudgeon jumped ship so to speak within it's first days in the tank. So I bought 6 small golden white cloud mountain minnows for the tank. It's planted with a piece of anubus, cabomba and a moss ball. There's one problem though, it has a film like substance on the top of the water. I'm not sure what it is exactly, it doesn't seem to be harming the fish, but I still don't trust the stuff. I've moved the internal filter up a bit to break the water surface and that seems to help.

Any clue what this film is and how I could get rid of it?
 
When the surface of the water is still the film will form. I had that until i got my canister.
 
its generally protein, or some other fatty/oily substance, change your food to hikari micro pellets and see the differnce. the method for getting rid is take some filter floss and put it in your net and skim the surface and that should rid your tank of the gunk
 
the method for getting rid is take some filter floss and put it in your net and skim the surface and that should rid your tank of the gunk

Also increasing surface movement will help and possibly change the food or feed less.

Another method is to lay tissue paper flat on the surface of the water. The film will stick to the tissue and you can just lift the tissue off again.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 

Most reactions

Back
Top