Lava Rock...disgusting!

Tiger Tiger

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
326
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
ENGLAND
I recently picked up a tank for sale with just about everything with it, filters, heaters, food, treatments etc.
The decor was all Brown Lava rock. It is light brown with every rock with a hole through it.
There must have been 2o large rock in a 4ft aquarium with medium sized fish.
He had so many filters in it he said he only needed to water change once every 3 months. The water was clear.
We went to catch the fish, at this point I would like to add the substrate is black/blue/yellow gravel and was around 2 inches deep, Well we started and the first swoop produced so much crap from the substrate I could not believe it. After 3 attempts I could not see a thing.
I have never ever seen water like that come out of gravel it was disgusting, when I got home in small buckets I had to wash each bucket of gravel a dozen times and that is no exaggeration.
Incredible, but what baffles me is how did these fish survive?
One handful clouded the whole entire aquarium.
So was it just waste, was it the gravel, or was it those porous (which looked like manmade or certainly done up to be all the same brown colour bleeding dust into the substrate.
I know from all the equipment he had that there was no Gravel cleaner. He had an entire Test kit but when I went to use it not one of the 5 test bottles had been used.
What’s your Hunch?
 
it is just a build up of gunk caused by no gravel cleans. The easiest way to clean it is to fill the tank up and do a gravel clean. It is usually quicker than trying to wash it out inb buckets.
The fish will often survive quite happily in a dirty tank, but if the gravel gets stirred up they often have problems. As long as the sediment stays undisturbed everything goes along smoothly.
 
Hi Tiger Tiger :)

This is what you get when you have gravel and don't vacuum it. Fish poop, leftover food, and the uneaten remains of dead fish and plants, if there were any in there, would all sink into it. :sick: Since the gravel is colored, it could be that it's painted and this paint will eventually chip off. Unless you are particularly fond of this color scheme, I suggest you get rid of it and buy some inexpensive natural sand or gravel to replace it.

If he said he only did water changes once every three months it's possible that he didn't actually change water but just replaced what evaporated. In this case the fish have gotten used to the bad water and should be gradually aclimated to your good water. That tank might have been going through Old Tank Syndrome. It could be that's why he gave up on it.

http://freshwater-aquarium-fish.com/index....8&Itemid=47
 
I have noticed a few of the fish have got like a growth on the end of their lips. Its like a massive white spot.
 
Hi Tiger Tiger

That's bad news. What kind of fish did you get from him. Which ones have this on them? Are there any other things that look like symptoms?

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture too.
 
This is a close up of my giant Danio lip. I have noticed one of my Clown loaches has started to get it

2008_1220mmmmccccc0003.jpg
 
It is probably just bruising from the fish swimming into the sides of the tank or bucket when being caught. It happens a lot when fish get spooked and panic. They swim straight into the sides of the tank and a few hours later the lip puffs up like a balloon. Keep the tank clean and there shouldn't be any problems. However, monitor the fish for signs of secondary infection. This may include the area going red and spreading over a bigger area. Or the area goes white and fluffy. The white fluffy is fungus and the red inflammation is a bacterial infection. If either of these things occur in the next day or so then use a broad spectrum medication like "Triple Sulpha", "Waterlife Protozin" or "Wardley's Promethyasul" to treat the tank. Follow the directions carefully if you have catfish and loaches in the tank.
 
I am more annoyed to the fact that anyone who can treat their animals whether dog, cat , snake or fish in such a manner is un forgivable and always in my view gives you a inclination of their character. it's no different to baby P in it's own context if you see what i mean :crazy:
 
Hi Tiger Tiger :)

Were you able to get any of the medicines Colin_T recommended? Any sign of change in their condition?
 
I am more annoyed to the fact that anyone who can treat their animals whether dog, cat , snake or fish in such a manner is un forgivable and always in my view gives you a inclination of their character. it's no different to baby P in it's own context if you see what i mean :crazy:
No I can't see.

Keeping fish in a way which used to be standard fair and many books promote is not really comparable to the manner in which Baby P was treated by both those who caused the injuries, and those that were there to prevent them (such as receiving a broken back which a paediatrician failed to notice and the massive number of visits by social services).

I would say that the two are massively different.

There is the potential to compare such treatment of the fish to the woefully neglectful level of care displayed by the McCanns though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top