Lathargic Betta. Staying on top and not moving.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yande

Reaction score
Some help would be great. Our little Betta is very lathargic. You can see him just "floating" there, with his nose sticking up out of the water. He moves his pectoral fins, on occasion. His other fins hang there, somewhat majestically.
He takes a sip of air, every now and then, blows a bubble on occasion.

Changes? One week ago, I removed one of the Cannister filters that I had running into this tank, as I wanted it for my new 50g tank. I've checked Chems with my API kit twice since then , including today and all levels are pretty well perfect. No water changes. Moved temp from 25C to 27C today.
2 Corycats, 7 Neon tetras, and today I noticed not one, that I thought, but around 5 tiny little snails? Added Air Stone this afternoon, as thought the plants may have had an influence on surface movement. Some plants will be moved out tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Occy crook IMG_0425.JPG
    Occy crook IMG_0425.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 111
Whats your parameters because im positive they aren't perfect yande, also whats your water changing schedule...?

Forgot to add your tank is to small for tetras and aren't compatible with bettas, corys are the same deal. they both need at least a school of six. which you cannot provide. air stone is not needed.

Could you post the parameters of the tank? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)
Is there a filter in the tank right now?
It could be stress due to his tankmates, but the concerns above are more likely. How big is the tank? (Some bettas do better with company than others, it's pretty much a lottery with these guys)

Thanks People...
"Changes? One week ago, I removed one of the Cannister filters that I had running into this tank, as I wanted it for my new 50g tank." There is still one left. A cannister filter. 10 gallon tank.
"I've checked Chems with my API kit twice since then , including today and all levels are pretty well perfect. No water changes. Moved temp from 25C to 27C today. "
"Added Air Stone this afternoon, as thought the plants may have had an influence on surface movement." Reasoning: I took one filter away, and water movement slowed somewhat.
Usually do a 30% water change on Mondays, but did not yesterday as he looked crook.
You can see a photo of the Chems that I took just now.
I add Prime and Stability when I do water changes. PH is a little high at 7.6

The fish all seem to get along swimmingly. The only interaction was about a month ago, the Betta was chasing one of the Cory's. Betta is generally on top, Neon's in the middle and Cory's on the bottom.

Attachments

• Chems May2 IMG_0431.JPG
    Chems May2 IMG_0431.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 86
The tone this forum strives for is one of cooperation and politeness. We do appreciate members understanding that while we are passionate about fishkeeping we do it for enjoyment.
so I guess nothing I said got into consideration, nice :D
Also your tank isn't cycled, Swag

Any other assistance you need?

Last edited:
Thanks People...
"Changes? One week ago, I removed one of the Cannister filters that I had running into this tank, as I wanted it for my new 50g tank." There is still one left. A cannister filter. 10 gallon tank.
"I've checked Chems with my API kit twice since then , including today and all levels are pretty well perfect. No water changes. Moved temp from 25C to 27C today. "
"Added Air Stone this afternoon, as thought the plants may have had an influence on surface movement." Reasoning: I took one filter away, and water movement slowed somewhat.
Usually do a 30% water change on Mondays, but did not yesterday as he looked crook.
You can see a photo of the Chems that I took just now.
I add Prime and Stability when I do water changes. PH is a little high at 7.6

The fish all seem to get along swimmingly. The only interaction was about a month ago, the Betta was chasing one of the Cory's. Betta is generally on top, Neon's in the middle and Cory's on the bottom.

Got it. I wasn't sure if there was a filter left, thanks for clarifying. c:
How old is your betta?
It still could be stress from tankmates. You could try to separate them, see if his condition gets any better, but I can understand if that's a last resort.

so I guess nothing I said got into consideration, nice :D
Also your tank isn't cycled, Swag

Any other assistance you need?

Betta Bettas, or Much Dutch, I am sure other members do not need to be made made aware of the bullying antics that you prevail with, and how, members like you, really turn new members away from forums, where new comers can come to ask question. This is my third Forum that I have either decided to not return to, or have NOT been banned from because of this jerk called Betta Bettas, muchDutch, or Dutchmuch.

The Planted tank even insinuated:
You have been banned for the following reason:
You created multiple accounts to troll other users
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
WTF? That is a complete lie. First, I would not know how???
I never EVER CREATED MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS! But I have no recompensense...
This is incredulous, I have over 3000 posts on a Watch forum, (not some petty fish forum) and then this. I thought this to be a lovely hobby. What ego's prevail behind such little fish.

Come on dutchmuch or Betta Bettas, tell us how you assist the newcomers.. With your love of the hobby. BTW, we all know you know how to relate to fish, that can't react, how about putting it into words that a human can hold you accountable for. That is, if you were in a pub, and someone could snub you in the mouth if you disrespected them? Now that's a quest for

Dutchmuch is a disgrace upon this passion. He has followed me from forum to forum, making life difficult for me. Calling me names, and what did I ever do to him... Question the way that he talked to me on another forum. I reported him to this forum, but, nothing happened. Oh! I got banned! Happy to now move onto another forum where I hope he is not a member.. And he pops up here...

"oh look its yande! im BettaBettas bud :)"

Guess I'll move on..

The Moderation of this forum really needs to be reconsidered. Members like the above mentioned are turning members away.

DutchMutch has been banned. His behaviour was definitely not OK!

The Mod Team would like to reassure members that we take reports of bad behaviour and harassment very seriously, and we do all we can to make sure our forum is a welcoming, friendly place, but do bear in mind we're all volunteers, who give up our time for nothing, and we don't always get things sorted as fast as we'd like.

Please do report any behaviour that concerns you to the Mod Team, as we can't monitor every single post, and we rely on member's reports to ensure any bad behaviour is dealt with promptly.

We would like to thank all members for their support and patience, and promise you we do our absolute best to ensure the harmonious running of the forum.

TFF Mod Team

Thank you for your correspondence, though I must add that there are no winners here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back