Last Efforts

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
When fish are bullied into starvation or sick through other reasons and are not eating, is there a way to support the fish while medication is able to work.

i.e. if it were a dog or a cat, we would insert an IV drip with glucose and salts to enable hydration and cell respiration to continue.

For a fish, can we add some sugar to the hospital tank water?

I guess salts would encourage osmisis drying the fish out but would sugar give any energy boost?
Is there anything we can do?

Many people have reported garlic to be a flavor enhancer, so that may coax them into eating. But, really, I think your best bet is a clean hospital tank with clean water, dark, and lots and lots of places to hide. This will make the fish feel safe, and hopefully de-stress him enough that he'll be willing to eat.

Indeed - I have seen garlic additives that can be added to foods etc to make them more yummy-scrumptious, but whatabout those who are too sick to eat.

Is there an additive that can be used to pass energy to them through their gills?

- I guess a cup of cofee added to the water would not be optimal - (not even a crushed up caffiene tablet!)

:lol:

Most reactions

Back