Large Shrimp

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I was wondering what kind of shrimp will work in a 29gallon tank with Angels. I've owned Cherry Shrimp (Love them, but not sure If they will get big enough. There growing out in betta tank) and Ghost Shrimp (Bought much larger and cheap as anything, so I dont mind testing with these). But there are shrimp in a show tank at my LFS and there very big and hte Angels (Nearly full size) leave them alone. The fish store also sells Rudolph shrimp (Saw them for hte first time today). They were bigger, but know nothing about them.

So, what kind of shrimp should wok?

Thanks
 
Cherries and other dwarf shrimp would likely get picked off by the angels. Amanos might work and so should the ghosts, as well as fan shrimp. Rudolph shrimp are peaceful, but might get eaten as they only get to about an inch and a half in size, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not sure what the larger shrimp could be. Did you notice if they had large claws or fan-like appendages? I would steer clear of them if they had large claws as they might go after your fish. If they had fans they should be fine, but would require target feeding.
 
I might try ghost shrimp after I grow them out in my betta tank. I didnt look at the shrimp that closely to see what kinds of claw things they had. Next time I go, I might just ask.
 
Shrimp are lovely but a nightmare if you need to put meds in the tank as most are fatal to shrimp.
 
Flower filter shrimp aka bamboo shrimp are awesome! Petco sells them for 2 or 3 dollars. Mine is about 3 inches and is sort of bossy...good for angels. Others are vampire shrimp and the other mentioned above
 
Flower filter shrimp aka bamboo shrimp are awesome! Petco sells them for 2 or 3 dollars. Mine is about 3 inches and is sort of bossy...good for angels. Others are vampire shrimp and the other mentioned above
 
IMO, ghost shrimp are almost always worth a shot unless you're entirely sure they'll get eaten quickly. Petsmart sells them 3 for $1, and some LFS in my area sell them even cheaper as feeders, so they aren't a high priced gamble if they get eaten. If they survive for a long time and only get picked off occasionally, you can probably afford to replenish the population occasionally.
 
Vampire shrimp as someone mentioned. I'm actually going to go look them up now as I remember wanting one a year back, but not having the room. I remember seeing one for sale not too long ago, so I will have to look into them again.
 
Awesome. Ill try bamboo and Ghost. I can buy 10 Ghosts for $1.79: $0.18each (not bad). Ill have to see if I can find bamboo shrimp. I would like a variety of kinds.
 
Be aware that if you get filter shrimp (bamboo or vampire) you will most likely have to feed them powdered/crushed fish flake to make sure they are actually getting enough food.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top