Large Oak Branch

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MojoDex

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've done a little bit of research and discovered that Oak should be safe for fish tanks, as luck would have it, I just happened to find the perfect piece earlier today. An already dead branch, still attached to the tree about 8ft long, with no rot or any other nasties.

Obviously this is far to big for me to even concider boiling, i will be breaking around 3ft off of the branch, just so it will fit into my tank. Even then though it will be far to big to treat properly in the conventional sence.

My question is, How have others treated such large pieces of wood? I have no access to a pond or similar to soak and water log the wood. Obviously I will be attacking the bark with a sharp knife to remove it, as well as thoughly cleaning the piece with a wire brush. But I would welcome any and all input people have to offer. :D

I had a peice of wood to big for my bucket, so I got a large tote, filled it with water, and then put my peice of wood in it and soaked it.

EllieJellyEllie said:
I had a peice of wood to big for my bucket, so I got a large tote, filled it with water, and then put my peice of wood in it and soaked it.
Sorry, what's a tote?

easiest solution is the bath tub!

Just turn your water on as hot as it will go and give the bath a quick clean (using no products!) to make sure any residue of your lovely shower gels is rinsed off, (10 mins should suffice)
Then fill the tub with as much hot water as you need and just put the log in, if you need to weight it down place rock on top or if its easier tie a rock to it with string.

you can boil the kettle and pour boiling water over it a couple of times that will kill any nasties, and from then just drain your bath water 50% a day to let some dirty water drain away and top it up!
(will also drain the tannins out the wood if any)

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those tubs big enough.

I'm sure my Mrs will smother me in my sleep if I try to use the bath! Worth a shot though......

Nahhh it wont take too long, and if youve got another shower somewhere you can still have your daily shower :D

If you tie rocks to the wood to make it sink it will absorb the water faster, a couple of days might make it sink,
alternatively take it outside and pour boiling water over it a few times to clean it, 
then tie rocks to its base and add it to your tank, the rocks will make it sink, and can be removed in a couple of weeks when it will sink on its own!

Well I do have the tank set-up, so I could always clean it and then chuck it straight in. I won't be redoing the tank for another month or two, so it could always water log and leech in there. I'm going to "borrow" a wire brush from work today for cleaning, then I'll go from there :)

I chickened out & waited tell the other half was at work. Before I soaked a couple of fairly large pieces of bog wood in the bath

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back