Large lump on gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Albatex

Reaction score
We've had a dwarf gourami for over a year. In the last 3 weeks, it developed a very large lump on its left side and a smaller on on the right. It's laying on the bottom of the tank. Pet smart said they thought it was a tumor and nothing could be done. But since it's on both sides, I'm not sure it's a tumor? It will swim when prodded (I've been catching it in a net and bringing it to the surface for air bubbles, but once I let it back out, it goes back to laying on its side. I don't want the fish to suffer - is there anything I can try to help it (if it's bacterial, is there medicine I should try) or do I need to put the poor thing out of its misery? The tank is 10 gallons. We have 3 neon fish, 3 catfish and 1 other (can't remember the name). We brought the water into Pet Smart and they tested it and said it was fine. It's my son's tank and he hadn't cleaned it in about a month before this happened, then I couldn't take it and cleaned it/changed out 50% of water. Did that 2 weeks ago - and will do it again tomorrow. Picture shows lump on left side - lump on right is twice as big. Any advice appreciated!!

Attachments

• 15482125864252418826617073747943.jpg
    15482125864252418826617073747943.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 799
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's either a tumour, cysts or enlarged organ (possibly the swim bladder). Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for fish when they have internal growths so the best thing is to euthanise the fish.

The quickest way to do this is hit it on the head with a solid object but that can get messy and the fish sometimes pop and spray stuff everywhere.

If you have clove oil you can put the fish into a small container of aquarium water and add a drop of clove oil, gently stir the water up and wait 30 seconds, then add another drop and stir it up. repeat the process until the fish stops breathing, then put the container of water (with fish) in the freezer and leave it there until it is frozen solid. Then bury it in the garden.

If you can't get clove oil just put the fish in a small container of tank water, put a lid on it and put it in the freezer until frozen solid. The clove oil knocks the fish out so it is unconscious while it freezes. If you don't use clove oil the fish will eventually get too cold and die.

Make sure you wash your hands with soapy water after doing this. And don't get any more dwarf gouramis because they have numerous issues and don't do well.

Thank you so much, Colin_T. I think I'll try the clove oil. I'm sad to have to do this, but really don't want him to suffer anymore. Thank you again!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back