• Gateway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other/mac

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Night61

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i am planning on buying a brand new laptop with my tax refund, the trouble is what kind.
the last two laptops i have purchased have been dells, and my current one is deteriorating at a rapid rate leaving me to have to purchase a new one after only two years with this one. i will not be going back to dell after the poor performance of this one.
i plan on for this time going to best buy to pick out a new computer, and will be sticking with a PC. Macs are more expensive then what i am looking for (so is alienware even though its on the poll)
what i need is opinions on the computers, i have friends with Hp's and they are very happy with them. my brother has a toshiba but he does not travel the way i do with my computer.
i need something that can handle traveling, that can handle minor gaming and a great word program. i do watch videos and download music so i need a decent processor and memory.
suggestions and previous history of certain brands would be wonderful.

I have had an HP for two years now with no problems. I am running Windows Vista with a nice graphics card which allows me to play very high demanding games with very little flaw!

Sim City 4, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 play on my Laptop with high graphics and no flaw. If you know these games... then you know they require a lot to function smoothly!

-FHM

well i am a former roller coaster ethusist so i know what you are talking about, man i want my refund so i can replace the devil computer. and drop vista, does it drive you crazy as well?

Yeah, vista is not the best! Good thing I get a brand new HP laptop this summer with Windows 7!

-FHM

In complete honesty, if anyone asks me which laptop/pc they should get, and unless they're doing some demanding work on it or require a specific set-up, I always point them to Dell. The fact is, imo, they're all pretty much of a muchness. No matter which you buy a quick search will show someone who say one particular brands laptop last years while someone else will say theirs was pretty much useless in a year or two. Your best route, imo, is to decide your budget then find the best spec'd laptop you can amongst the main manufacturers.

btw, just so you know...Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell:)

edited to add....i've just checked your list and there's at least 2 manufacturers on there that I would never buy from, which are acer and gateway. I don't recommend Sonys laptops either but it's been a few years since I've worked on one...nor do I particuarly like Lenovo, but then i know a few people who really like them.

In complete honesty, if anyone asks me which laptop/pc they should get, and unless they're doing some demanding work on it or require a specific set-up, I always point them to Dell. The fact is, imo, they're all pretty much of a muchness. No matter which you buy a quick search will show someone who say one particular brands laptop last years while someone else will say theirs was pretty much useless in a year or two. Your best route, imo, is to decide your budget then find the best spec'd laptop you can amongst the main manufacturers.

btw, just so you know...Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell:)

edited to add....i've just checked your list and there's at least 2 manufacturers on there that I would never buy from, which are acer and gateway. I don't recommend Sonys laptops either but it's been a few years since I've worked on one...nor do I particuarly like Lenovo, but then i know a few people who really like them.
thanks i was leaning toward sony but i did not know anyone who owned one. personal experience is the best opinion in my opinion.

I would go for a Toshiba over anything fo cost and use - its very easy and you get alot for your money.

Also, seconded to a Toshiba I would go for a sony vaio

well thanks to your suggestions, i went to the store and i am now a proud owner of a toshiba harman/kardon.
it has five hours of battery life and a number padd, now all i need is word and i am a very happy new computer owner.
thank you all for your suggestions and advice, as for the old computer timing couldn't be better the screen died on it last night while i was working on transferring crap over. it knew i wanted to punt it.

You should have gotten a mac, as their battery life is 7 hours. But, then there is the whole internal battery, so you can't easily replace it. But they last forever. Our school has some 2004 (I believe) MacBooks that work perfectly fine. I too am in the search for a laptop, but I would assume that you wouldn't use yours for what I want to use mine as.

Double / Triple the price for a lot more than the battery. If you can afford it get a Mac.

well thanks to your suggestions, i went to the store and i am now a proud owner of a toshiba harman/kardon.
it has five hours of battery life and a number padd, now all i need is word and i am a very happy new computer owner.
thank you all for your suggestions and advice, as for the old computer timing couldn't be better the screen died on it last night while i was working on transferring crap over. it knew i wanted to punt it.

I've got a toshiba satellite myself. Originally bought for school but now for all purpose. Never had a problem with it! My BF also has a similar model and has had it for nearly 2 years now- again no problem. I'm sure you'll enjoy!

I suggest HP or Dell with Windows 7 and at least 2 GB. Alienware are great, but more for high end gaming, which it doesnt look like you'll be doing.

Double / Triple the price for a lot more than the battery. If you can afford it get a Mac.

my reply was to the previous poster suggesting that it the o/p could have got an extra 2 hours had they got a mac...hardly a reason to pay two-three times the price.

However please enlighten me to what else you're getting than the battery...

Most reactions

Back