Kribensis Male (White Around Mouth And Gills, Open Mouth, Breathing He

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beevster

Reaction score
Done a bit of research on this but still not 100% on the problem, So I could do with some extra advice from here to help me.

I have had him for about 5 months, we successfully paired him with a female and they born and raised a few fry.

I normally clean my tank once a week at 10% so in my 180 liter tank I change around 18-20 litres But just lately I've been working a lot more and haven't been able to keep up with water changes so frequently and as a consequence the tank is more dirtier then I would like.

I live in a soft water area Aberdeen and use the stated dose of tetra Aquasafe 5ml per 10 liters of water.

The other fish seem healthy and fine in the tank I have:

2 yellow/gold Gourami
​2 Dwarf Gourami
4 Zerba Dinos
4 Leopard Dinos
8 Neon Tetra
2 Clown Fish
3 Long Tail Tetra
2 Cat fish
1 Bristle nose catfish
2 Kribensis + 3 Small Fry
1 Female Swordtail
1 Molly

Kribensis symptoms:

He started off as a very active fish and showed great father like material so I paired him up and quickly they took too each other he was showing off and very active around the tank and was very dominant feature in the tank.

Since the fry was born he was the perfect father taking care of the young defending the cave and looking after them so they don't venture out and protecting them against anything that came into range, He did this day and night for weeks or months.

But now since the fry are bigger he's taken a big step back the mother still keeps and eye on them, But he just hides in the cave my wife noticed a few weeks ago his mouth seem stuck open, but I couldn't remember if he was always like this so just thought nothing of it. I thought he was just hiding in the cave to protect the young, But now they are bigger and out the cave with mum doing normal fish stuff, he just keep's hiding in the cave. 

He has also now developed a hole in the side of his face near the gills and has a white fluffy substance around this area, and he is seems to be breathing heavier then normal still with his mouth open, He still feeds but not like he did before.

I've recently done a 10% water change and completely removed any algae that was on the glass, the tank itself isn't looking too dirty but I will need to run some test to clarify the levels.

I've ordered some 'Water life Octozin' but would like to know if this is recommended to treat the whole tank?, I don't want to kill all my natural bacteria, But I have read that the parasites could live in other breeds of fish and not show any symptoms.

I don't want to lose my Male Kribensis as he's a great father and character in the tank.

I will post ph levels nitrate levels and ammonia levels with some photo's of his symptoms tomorrow, Just wanted to post some basic information tonight as my tank lights are off now and I don't want to unsettle the fish with lights, tests & photos.

Thanks for reading and any advice will be grateful

Cheers

Bve 

Just a quick update...

After treating my fish with Octozin the tank as a whole seems more stable i lost a few cherry barbs they seem to be the worst effected, a few remain alive and look well..

Cant see any problems with the other fish except the male Kribensis is still very stick and hardly moves, spending most of his time hiding.. His mouth look very bad and while fluffy like cotton wool around the gills, Tempted to end his sorry life but with a wife's input its not so easy to do.

Personally i think he's too sick for even the best treatment now and its only a matter of time before we lose him.

Bve

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back