Kribensis Eggs At Worst Possible Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My kribensis have just laid another batch off eggs. I only noticed them tonight and tomorrow I was planning on moving the tank they were in to the other side of my room as I am getting rid of the stand that the tank is on. This is the kribensis 3rd spawn and she only ate her last egg 3 weeks ago today. The thing is as this is there 3rd spawn I'm kind off hoping they might have the hang of it now and might get wriggler and possibly fry. Also if you look on my other post I have had a couple of rummies die today. All the fish in their look healthy and the water is fine. So after all of that my question is can I still lower the water and move the fish tank the 7ft walk across the room or do you guy think I should wait till they have either eaten the eggs or raised wriggles/fry from Tom

i would wait.
when fish die it could be that you aren't maintancing it properly.
when saying the stats are fine, are you sure? not testing it will not give you anything.
get the water a test, and then see if you need to do something about it.
are you treating the water before it goes into the tank? 
did you cycle it etc etc.. 
is it over crowded.
its best to do weekly or every other week water changes.

On the post that I made about the rummies dying I posted the test results and they came back as perfectly normal.
Yes I do treat the water before it goes into the tank.
I posted on here what I had in the tank and the general consensus said that the tank was not overcrowded and I change the water in the tank on a Wednesday (small change) and Saturday (big change)
and the tank has been set up for 14 years and i did cycle it properly then

The Rummynose are almost certainly being picked off by the Kribensis, now they have eggs and so have changed into "psychotic parental care" mode, just like my Steatocranus (Blockhead Cichlids).

The only time I've not found a dead fish in a completely open community tank with my breeding Blockheads was back in April, in my small volume 6-footer. The cichlids fortunately chose a cave at the extreme left end of the tank and were fiercely protecting the closest ~90cm. It also helped there were no small fragile fish in there at the time (5 Euchilichthys spp.; 3 Synodontis brichardi; 1 Synodontis notata).
However, I did sadly find a Euchilichthys had jumped out of the tank through a ~2cm gap in the glass sliders at the Blockhead cave end of the tank, after I carelessly did not close it after an evening feed. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I suspect the Blockheads attacked and the poor thing tried to escape, but found the gap. :(

This type of scenario comes up time and time again on forums regarding Kribs, far too many keepers place pairs in far too small a community tank (length-wise) with far too small/fragile fish that are likely to get within ~15cm of the Krib fry/eggs and pay with their lives.  

N0body Of The Goat said:
This type of scenario comes up time and time again on forums regarding Kribs, far too many keepers place pairs in far too small a community tank (length-wise) with far too small/fragile fish that are likely to get within ~15cm of the Krib fry/eggs and pay with their lives.
This!

I have a 75 gallon 4ft tank and my Kribs virtually take over 3/4 of the bottom section when breeding. They're a lovely fish but very territorial when guarding eggs and young.

Cichlids will protect their young with all their might. Kribs are cichlids. A proper selection of tankmates could have been better. I dont really recommend them with anything but other non similar looking cichlids or other territorial fish

I moved my fish tanks last week and although the fish are OK, they have definitely been unsettled by it so I think it would be better to wait if you can.

No more deaths today so I don't think it is the kribensis as they have had rummy nose tetras in there with them when they have breed before and there were no deaths so I think that maybe that the rummy nose tetra did not adjust properly or could have already been ill and the stress of them being moved finished them off. Roughly how long does it take for the kribensis eggs to hatch as I saw them in there yesterday so want to know roughly when I can expect them to hatch if they survive that long.

Most reactions

Back