Kribensis Breeding Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bobby06

Reaction score
Hi i have been in the hoppy for about 8 months i have a 2 ft tank with a male and female kribensis in.
I would love it if they could spawn so that i to can have a shot at raising some fry.
ok here is a list if questions

1- will any male and any female pair up?

2- i have had my kribs for about 1 month and they not showing any signs of spawning, what to do?

3- i do a 20% water change every week, is this enough?

4- they are alone in the tank will it help if i get another pair to put with them?

Thanx help would be much appreciated :rolleyes:

Hi i have been in the hoppy for about 8 months i have a 2 ft tank with a male and female kribensis in.
I would love it if they could spawn so that i to can have a shot at raising some fry.
ok here is a list if questions

1- will any male and any female pair up?

2- i have had my kribs for about 1 month and they not showing any signs of spawning, what to do?

3- i do a 20% water change every week, is this enough?

4- they are alone in the tank will it help if i get another pair to put with them?

Thanx help would be much appreciated :rolleyes:

1- you might be lucky and you might not

2- have patience wait another month are 2 (kribs will spawn every 2 months so dont get rid of them just yet)

3- maybe do a water change every 3-4 days

4- just have patience

also :hi: to TFF

feed lots of live and frozen foods

you could put dithers in (eg danios or some non-agressive yet quick barbs like odessas)

make sure you have caves/ coconut shells in the

patience

feed lots of live and frozen foods

you could put dithers in (eg danios or some non-agressive yet quick barbs like odessas)

make sure you have caves/ coconut shells in the

patience

what are dithers and what purpose would they serve?
sorry new to this thanx for the help

Dithers are smaller fast usually schooling or mid/top swimmers used to encourage shyer fish that it is safe.

IMO these are only necessary if your Kribs are particularly shy.

Not any 2 Kribs will pair up - they may not but it is fairly likely they will if they have no other options, just give them time.

Make sure they have plants and caves for cover (plastic plants is fine) and a good diet, clean water and patience.

How are they looking? Are they brightly coloured up? Look especially at the female if she has a big purple/red belly then she is getting ready to breed. Also see if she is displaying to the male - swimming in fromt of him and arching her belly towards him. Also how big are they? Are they adults?

Don't put another pair in - it would be murder!

Dithers are smaller fast usually schooling or mid/top swimmers used to encourage shyer fish that it is safe.

IMO these are only necessary if your Kribs are particularly shy.

Not any 2 Kribs will pair up - they may not but it is fairly likely they will if they have no other options, just give them time.

Make sure they have plants and caves for cover (plastic plants is fine) and a good diet, clean water and patience.

How are they looking? Are they brightly coloured up? Look especially at the female if she has a big purple/red belly then she is getting ready to breed. Also see if she is displaying to the male - swimming in fromt of him and arching her belly towards him. Also how big are they? Are they adults?

Don't put another pair in - it would be murder!

ok my female 1.5 inches my male about 2 inches
she has a red belly but does not do the belly dancing thing.
and the male has red around the gill area and a bit down the side
what diet would be best for them?

They sound a little small perhaps to be quite ready to breed.

A good varied diet, sinking smaller sized cichlid pellets, sinking spirulina pellets, bloodworm (frozen or live) variety and quality to get them in top condition. Don't overdo the bloodworm just once or twice a week is fine.

They sound a little small perhaps to be quite ready to breed.

A good varied diet, sinking smaller sized cichlid pellets, sinking spirulina pellets, bloodworm (frozen or live) variety and quality to get them in top condition. Don't overdo the bloodworm just once or twice a week is fine.

what temp do i keep my tank at 27c or 28c or 29c cuase i have heard all of these.
what about the pellets that sink and they dont see
dont floating pellets work

In my experience Kribs are more of a bottom feeder so sinking works best, especially once you do have fry. As long as you don't overfeed there shouldn't be many pellets they miss and a twice weekly quick gravel vac will get any they do leave.

I kept mine at 27 degrees and found they tended to spawn after a slightly cooler waterchange like many fish do (it cons them to think it is rainy season)

if i had to add neon tetras in my tank with the kribs would the kribs kill them or are they to fast?
and what do i do when the kribs spawn do i remove the neons then?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back