Koi, Guppy And Catfish Compatibility Doubts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dbrito97

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the craft of taking care of fish and have one main question.

So the situation is the following:
In my house there is a pond which my dad had built about a year ago, in which we have 3 species of fish: 1 koi fish, dozens upon dozens of guppies and a few of what we call in Mexico "mojarra". We also have a bunch of plants around the area and the walls are all covered in algae. This was my dad's intention since apparently it is pretty much self sustainable, the water is very clear and we have never had any [noticable] problems with the fish. We have noticed that the Koi eats up some of the Guppies but it really is of no concern to us since there are very many of them.

Now, one of my mates has two catfish that she doesn't want any more and asked if I wanted it, so I thought I should look up some info prior to accepting. So here I am asking for any advice on wether I should accept the offer and add the two catfish to my pond.

It is a large pond of around 15k litres (~3.8k gallons).
I live in the south eastern part of Mexico (Yucatan peninsula) so it is a pretty tropical weather.
There is a bunch of aquatic plants in the pond.

tl;dr:

I have a 15k ltr pond with one koi, a lot of guppies and another species called mojarra and was wondering if I could add a couple of catfish to the pond.

We'd really need to know exactly what sort of fish these 'catfish' are before we can advise you.

There are literally thousands of different species that are called 'catfish'. Could you get some pictures of the fish somehow?

Alright thanks, I'll try to get a pic as soon as I can.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back