Kissing Gourami with bad eye

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Oh no!!! I made a no thought buy of a sad little fishy!

Last night I went to Petco to pick up a few cory cats that had been ordered for me and while I was checking out all the other fish I noticed a small kissing gourami that appeared to be missing an eye. I looked closer at him and neither he nor any of the others with him appeared to have ick or any fin rot and they were all happily swimming about.

So, I asked the guy working the fish department and he knew exactly who I was talking about. He said that the little guy has been there for a little over two weeks and appeared in good health but no one wants to buy him because, although the eye thing isn't noticable from a distance now, when he's a foot long you bet it'll be noticed.

Anyway, to spite the fact that I do not have a large enough tank, I purchased him and one other and added them to my small community tank. (I plan to set up a huge tank when I move, in about a month).

Any ideas what's with the eye and is there anything I can do. I appears that his eye is there and is moves so may be functional however, it is covered with something, like flesh.

Also, any info on Kissing Gouramis would be very helpful.

I once had a neon tetra like that he lived fine until one day he just dissepared and i never saw him again! SO i dont really know how this happens there just born like that or it was biten off them!

Here, I found some info for you. Internet is so useful, isn't it? Oh and by the way....they kiss! Nice, huh?

The kissing gourami is a peaceful species that should be housed with fishes of similar size and temperament. Males will occasionally fight by "pressing" their mouths together — hence the common name.

Kissing gouramis should be housed in large aquariums (i.e., 75 gallons or more) that are densely plant with Java fern and Java moss on the sides and back of the aquarium, as well as floating plants, such as Riccia species. Artificial plants are recommended, as live plants will be regarded as food. Decorate with bog wood and rockwork to provide sufficient area for algae to grow on, as this species will browse algae-covered surfaces as a supplement to its diet.

The kissing gourami accepts a wide range of foods, including small live foods, such as bloodworms, Tubifex worms, earthworms, glass worms and brine shrimp, as well as flake and freeze-dried foods. Supplement with vegetable matter in the form of Spirulina-based foods or parboiled vegetables, such as romaine lettuce, zucchini or peas.

Because it is difficult to differentiate between the sexes, it is best to purchase a group of six or more and let them pair up. These fish do not build nests, but they are capable of producing large spawns — up to 10,000 eggs per spawning. The eggs will float to the surface and attach themselves to various surfaces (i.e., plant stems, leaves). Some aquarists float a lettuce leaf in the aquarium as both a site of attachment for the eggs, and a source of infusoria, which the fry will feed on as an initial food. The parents should be removed from the aquarium after spawning, and the eggs will hatch in about four days.

Awww! Thats sweet :) I once bought a blind turtle and put him in my pond. He is still there and is having a ball :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back