Killifish Suicide

AquaticAustin

Reaction score
Hello I was just wondering if anyone has any creative Ideas on how to cover up the back cutout part of a tank? I have a 55 long with standard black plastic hood that has the cutout in the back for the filter etc and one of my adult killifish jumped right out! I have three more that I realy like and have covered up the whole with paper towels for now but I would like a more permanent/ more attractive solution if possible!

Sponge or flannel cut to shape, or even a small piece of plastic sheet held in place with tape or blu-tac?

Hmm sponge could be an easy to do one, only concern with that and the others is there are some pretty odd shapes being made back there with the filter /heater/ hoses ect coming in and out and the killifish jumped out a pretty small hole last time so I am hesitant to leave anything

Killifish are accomplished jumpers. It's a strategy that has evolved to ensure some fish survive a pool that has dried out and also enables fish to colonise pools that are isolated from the main body of water. Aquarists keeping killifish should ensure that fish can't escape by keeping the water level low and sealing any small gaps with cotton wool.

Killifish lay aggs so your female will need another male if you want to breed them. Gardneri are widely available so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Juwel filter sponges cut oversize and pinched to fit the contours of the gap.
Lower your water levels.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back