Killifish Recommendation

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
I came to like killies with the normani lampeyes and to this day are amongst my favourites of fish. I recently tried the gardneris but had no end of bad luck with them (did not account for a small gap and had jumpers and then the female died of stress, also think had too much flow for them). I would like to give killies another go, I have my beloved lamps but unsure what route to go down and would appreciate opinons.

Ones that I have sourced are:
fundulopanchax gardeneri nigerianus - could get a trio again but try perhaps in their own setting rather than a community or try a exciting opportunity with eggs.
APHANIUS DISPAR
Aphanius Mento

Killies are an area I am a little vague on and have been reading the excellent resources on here. I have a community tank with small species in that they could go into (and this has a completely covered lid) or the option of a 5g to attempt spawning in etc but would be worried of filtrating and stressing them.

Thanks so much and look forward to responses!

EDIT: looking at Ebay there are many other versions in egg form from Thailand though of course need to read up more on egg raising etc.

Unfortunately Aphanius are NOT community fish very aggressive.Fundulopanchax gardeneri nigerianus masaje gold i have found to be robust and fairly easy to breed at quite low temps aswell.If you like Lampeyes you could try Oryzias or Ricefish not exactly a Killifish but easy to keep and breed i think they are great but sadly overlooked by many.

I do have an option to set up a 10g just for killis if that was a suitable size for them by themselves (and of course once figure out a tight fitting lid for this particular tank ;))

I do have an option to set up a 10g just for killis if that was a suitable size for them by themselves (and of course once figure out a tight fitting lid for this particular tank ;))

I breed Aphanius,Oryzias and Fundulopanchax gardeneri in tanks about that size.

Hello ricefish thanks very much for that :good: You wouldnt happen to be UK and having some to move on would you (hope dont mind asking x)

Hello ricefish thanks very much for that :good: You wouldnt happen to be UK and having some to move on would you (hope dont mind asking x)

No problem.yes i'm in the UK got several spare juv's of most available.also lots of livebearers

Most reactions

Back