Killifish and hard water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bdoggy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I just cycled my new 20 long... I have a few endler guppies in there that were helping the tank cycle and I just added a male apisto borelii.
I have fairly hard water with a PH of 7.5-8.0... Some of the killifish I saw at the pet store are beautiful, but apparently they are not happy in harder water.. are there any species out there that I can keep?....
Also, I do have a lid on the tank but there is a area cut out for the hang on back filter....
Thanks.
B.

It would help to know the exact GH. The pH is one thing, closely related but also influenced by things other than the GH. The GH is more significant in its impact on most fish, depending.

If you saw them in the pet shop and they looked fine they will be fine at your house. The pet shop uses the same city water you do. Now whether they thrive long term is another story. You likely saw the Golden Wonder Killifish , they are the most common pet shop Killifish, and they thrive under lots of varying conditions.
Killifish are great jumpers and will exploit any opening to make good their escape.

If you saw them in the pet shop and they looked fine they will be fine at your house. The pet shop uses the same city water you do. Now whether they thrive long term is another story. You likely saw the Golden Wonder Killifish , they are the most common pet shop Killifish, and they thrive under lots of varying conditions.
Killifish are great jumpers and will exploit any opening to make good their escape.
They do use the same water but they use an RO filter... I see them adding stuff to the cichlid tanks to add it back lol... Ok let me test the water again and see what gh is at

They do use the same water but they use an RO filter... I see them adding stuff to the cichlid tanks to add it back lol... Ok let me test the water again and see what gh is at
I have Golden Wonders and Orange Aphyosemion australe. I cut my water to 60 PPM TDS with my R/O unit. There's a formula for converting TDS to gh but I don't know how to do it.

TDS and GH can't be converted. GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium, TDS is a measure of everything in the water, which includes GH but lots of other things as well.

And yes they do have golden wonder .. but there was another kind there yesterday... $20 per fish and very colorful. But I'm sure they are a soft water fish. I do like the golden wonder but they get kinda big for a 20 long ya?

Don\t put golden wonders with borellii. They are predators. And will grow too big.

What killies is important - the family occurs in both Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa. Lots of species, lots of differences.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back