Killies For The Community Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

glasspoet

Reaction score
I do large well stocked, low aggressive, heavily landscaped community tanks in the 150 gallon size. These are usually stocked with angelfish as the primary main inhabitants. I don't have much experience with killifish. Was wondering if and what killifish might be compatible with angelfish in this type setting?

I am not 100% sure but possibly Golden Killies(Also commonly called Golden Wonder Killies)? They get pretty big for a killie, my largest is almost 3 inches and I am assuming uneatable for an angelfish. They are docile towards other fish, as long as they are not bite sized. They may be a bit aggressive at times but nothing bad, they just try to eat anything. Any pellets or algae tablets I throw in, my largest killie will catch and try to swallow whole (which usually works). While feeding my African Butterfly he has snatched and eaten crickets and mealworms half his size whole.

Thankyou for your reply. I believe my brother just dropped three young of those in his 225 gallon similar community tank. We believe these are the same as he grew to maturity in his prior 150 gallon community tank. They behaved splendidly. They were active and hardy but did not eat his large cardinals. However I was hoping for suggestions of a little more exotic variety that size or smaller. Also I am hoping for recommendations of a good killifish supplier.

I'm looking into fundulopanchax gardneri to see if they will work in mine. Google image them, I think they look nice.

Squid

Fundulopanchax gardneri or Aphyosemion striatum should be fine.
ATB
C

I noticed there is no mention of any Nothobracchius. Anybody have experience with any of these species? I am really looking for a very pretty, non-aggressive killy. Hybrids are welcome, money is not an issue.

Nothobranchius are not recommended because they dont seem to adapt to community life. They require livefoods constantly.
Some will forage on frozen but in general do not do well on such diets.
Some Notho species are aggressive which is another point. They are true African annuals and giving water parameters they may only last about 6-8 mths even sooner if not given the proper care and attention to each particular species.
Money dont really come into play here, it's knowing where to look and who to contact which is the key.
Reading between the lines you are looking for a fish akin to Nothobranchius rachovi which I would strongly advise against.
ATB
C

Again I want 2 thankyou for your replies. I'm so happy to find an active forum. References to killifish in community aquaria seems to be sorely deficient. Live foods are not a problem--as my fish get their share of live foods. Rachiovi is a beautiful fish, but I had my eye on nothos more in line with Korthoasae or larger other peaceful nothos. There is such a ridiculous abundance of sub-species, it would seem there is quite a lot of compatability possibilities, especially in an overly-decorated 570 liter aquarium much deeper than 1 meter. It seems that most of the killifish available are tank raised, leading to profound changes in the fish themselves. I'm not interested in Nothosbranchius exclusively either. All branches of killifish are unknown to me. There are thousands of beautiful pictures, but very little information, other than for breeding. Actual community experience would be worshipped. I'm also interested in learning the latest hybrids available.

As a side note, I've actively searching for anyone who is culturing a breeding program for jumbo guppies or cardinals. Also anyone else who has tank bred the caecilian worm.

I am breeding notho 98, some 25-30 of them (i have journal going) I will be actually trying to build a community tank and try to mix 10 of this notho's with someone else. It will be atleast 30G planted tank and lots of room to hide and seperate during fights , I will be carpetting too. so lets see, I might give you some info but its long time for that :D .

so this is kind of no use post but just heads up for someone still interested.

Most reactions

Back