Kia Ora. Hi.

Kia Ora. Wow thanks so much for your reply..... really great info, I've been in Maidenhead today and the guy in there was super nice, because of my arthritis he said he could assemble the stand for me, I asked how much and he said rather surprised "nothing", I'd likely slip him 20 to get a beer though, as opposed to Ings who would pre assemble for £40 then deliver for £40! Unfortunately Maidenhead don't have a van. I'd have to organise a two guys to get it up to me but I'm sure thats not a problem. One thing I like about the Fluval is its depth and width, but you're right about the length 320cm, I was sure it was a four footer but its about 5 inches shy. Frisbees I visited and they are very friendly, and it was nice because my father bought our first tank from the same shop over forty years ago when I was about 10 or 11!
However there's a dinginess to the place. I am grateful for your suggestions about alternatives, but I just dig the attention to detail Fluval have, also it comes with the excellent 7 series canister and two of the top of the range lights. My requirement for a lid was purely for power saving, although it's not needed, and has the two glass top pieces you mentioned..... when I envisage my build I do wish I could have plants growing above the water line to give it depth and authenticity. I'm thinking something Congo or African. There also seems to be a shortage of choice for plants.
One thing you may know is where to access hardware... decent sized wood and stones. I'll take a look at Ferrybridge on your recommendation.. Don't mind a drive for the right thing. Thanks again for the welcome and advice greatly appreciated. Kia Kaha.

Just make sure you're happy with the limitations that the tank size could have on your future choices - over four foot would allow fish upto 6 inches, maybe more for inactive or less active species but under 4 foot you'd be better around the 4 inch mark, 5 inch maximum. Getting the tank delivered should be ok but some companies don't like handling fish tanks so just be prepared to ring around.

For plants I'd recommend going online, it allows you to research and buy exactly what you want and avoid any house plants masquerading as aquarium plants. Ings lane has the best plant choice for me personally - they have a really good Tropica selection and their bunched plants are ok but they do have house plants mixed in there.

When you say African set up - have you considered Malawis? Mbunas or Peacocks - our hard water is perfect for them but you can't really keep plants with them. We are also lucky in that we have 2 of the best breeders/importers in our area - Tonys African Cichlids in Bridlington and Kevs Rifts in Pontefract. For me the best hard water 'community' habitat to replicate is Lake Inle where you have Thick Lipped Gourami, Red Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Rasboras, Emerald Rasboras, Inle Loaches and some really stunning (but quite rare danio species). Nearby lakes also have things like Rosy Loaches and Galaxy Rasboras which are sometimes a bit easier to find and also some stunning Badis/Dario species. This set up could be a really good option for the Siena with an Amano inspired planted layout and the fact these species stay quite small goes in its favour and they come from densely planted habitats too.

Wills

Thanks for the kind words and advice, its helped me feel reassured. (Sorry about the Bledisloe Cup ;-). (Go Black or go home!. Having said that I've spent ages in Australia. Where about are you?
Not to worry about the Bledisloe Cup. The Matildas and the Diamonds are doing very well though!

I’m in West Gippsland, about 100km east of Melbourne. Did you live anywhere near Bondi when you were here? (sorry, couldn’t help myself :) )

but I was shocked how many over achieving aquascapers are Asian? I wonder if there is a closer connection to nature in many of these places.
Although, aquascaping is done by many people globally, it's true that the majority is still coming from Asia. Fish and water symbolize a fair number of things to Asians which goes back to ancient times already.

Just make sure you're happy with the limitations that the tank size could have on your future choices - over four foot would allow fish upto 6 inches, maybe more for inactive or less active species but under 4 foot you'd be better around the 4 inch mark, 5 inch maximum. Getting the tank delivered should be ok but some companies don't like handling fish tanks so just be prepared to ring around.

For plants I'd recommend going online, it allows you to research and buy exactly what you want and avoid any house plants masquerading as aquarium plants. Ings lane has the best plant choice for me personally - they have a really good Tropica selection and their bunched plants are ok but they do have house plants mixed in there.

When you say African set up - have you considered Malawis? Mbunas or Peacocks - our hard water is perfect for them but you can't really keep plants with them. We are also lucky in that we have 2 of the best breeders/importers in our area - Tonys African Cichlids in Bridlington and Kevs Rifts in Pontefract. For me the best hard water 'community' habitat to replicate is Lake Inle where you have Thick Lipped Gourami, Red Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Rasboras, Emerald Rasboras, Inle Loaches and some really stunning (but quite rare danio species). Nearby lakes also have things like Rosy Loaches and Galaxy Rasboras which are sometimes a bit easier to find and also some stunning Badis/Dario species. This set up could be a really good option for the Siena with an Amano inspired planted layout and the fact these species stay quite small goes in its favour and they come from densely planted habitats too.

Wills
Kia Ora, Thanks for the reply. I do love the Akashi Amano style... I was lucky enough to work in Japan for a year and got to the Amano aquatic centre! Stunning. It was interesting that the guide told us Amano built his first tank with plants from his village paddy field and fish in local streams!
African wise I like Malawi's... but my heads buzzing with ideas, I do like the Zen tanks too, although very simplistic in appearance... they're really quite complicated having a specific set up of stones, from numbers to size. They do look good fully carpeted with the right stone. (Do you know anywhere that has quite large stones?) But I'm definitely inspired by nature itself and will need something "authentic".
I can't abide the thought of just chucking plants, stones and fish into a tank and looking at it, not to criticise those that do.
But I firmly believe this is an art form and its cool to do that.
How do you cope with our hard water, is it lots of water changes or do you use much chemical additives?
Those importers you mentioned in Brad and Ponty.... do they have shops or is it all online.
What's your set up like Wills?
Kia Kaha, best regards Phil.

Not to worry about the Bledisloe Cup. The Matildas and the Diamonds are doing very well though!

I’m in West Gippsland, about 100km east of Melbourne. Did you live anywhere near Bondi when you were here? (sorry, couldn’t help myself :) )
No I was usually on ships down the rocks, then it was China town and the Cross :). I cycled a great deal in those days so a friend and I would get up early and cycle over to Bondi every morning before workI did get to Newcastle a few times, but it was tumbleweed city by then. But I've spent a lot of time in most Aussie main cities. Melbourne a lot. went to St Kilda a great deal to see bands, before it was gentrified.

How do you think the Silver ferns will do this World Cup? ;-)

Attachments

• NWC2019_Media_Day_NS_IMG_0001__NS28106.jpg
    NWC2019_Media_Day_NS_IMG_0001__NS28106.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Silver-Ferns.jpeg
    Silver-Ferns.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: TNG
Kia Ora, Thanks for the reply. I do love the Akashi Amano style... I was lucky enough to work in Japan for a year and got to the Amano aquatic centre! Stunning. It was interesting that the guide told us Amano built his first tank with plants from his village paddy field and fish in local streams!
African wise I like Malawi's... but my heads buzzing with ideas, I do like the Zen tanks too, although very simplistic in appearance... they're really quite complicated having a specific set up of stones, from numbers to size. They do look good fully carpeted with the right stone. (Do you know anywhere that has quite large stones?) But I'm definitely inspired by nature itself and will need something "authentic".
I can't abide the thought of just chucking plants, stones and fish into a tank and looking at it, not to criticise those that do.
But I firmly believe this is an art form and its cool to do that.
How do you cope with our hard water, is it lots of water changes or do you use much chemical additives?
Those importers you mentioned in Brad and Ponty.... do they have shops or is it all online.
What's your set up like Wills?
Kia Kaha, best regards Phil.
I went to Tokyo in 2016 and it was right in the middle of when I fell out of love with aquariums... regret that now haha!

The Zen tanks and the placements of the stones are called Iwagumi, they are beautiful to look at but not great environments for fish as there is little to no cover so you have to be very careful with that style or adapt it with some tall stems in the background or some floating plants to make it a long term home for fish.

With hard water I did try the RO route for a while but in the long term have decided to embrace it so I don't do anything in that regard I just do my best to deal with the nitrates in our tap water (two different things really but both negative - though the nitrate more so).

I really enjoy the set up process but sometimes too much planning actually makes it feel more unnatural so its a balance. I currently have 5 tanks in various states, I have a 100 litre red eye red tail puffer tank, a 30 litre Myanmar stream tank - both of these are set up. I then have a 40 litre tank I'm setting up for shell dwellers and a tiny 5 litre tank that is just for plants. My biggest tank is a 300 litre tank that I'm setting up as an Mbuna tank - thats getting started this weekend. I've also just bought a second 300 litre tank that I don't have any real plans for but most likely will be a Central American tank with a Nicaraguan Cichlid in :)

Wills

Realised I missed off some of your questions!

For the Malawi breeders its these two https://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk/ http://kevsrifts.co.uk/ - appointment only but easy to organise :)

For rocks I have been right around the houses planning my Malawi tank - tried all the local garden centres, few quarries and wholesalers and its a mixture of not quite the right things or won't sell to the public. Ings Lane has the best hardscape from an aquarium perspective locally but not amazing - the best place within a reasonable drive is Horizon Aquatics which is about 1hr 45 from Hull but well worth the trip, especially for an Amano fan - their showroom is incredible. Aquarium rocks are painfully expensive and you will question your sanity as you explore it. I've landed on getting Mega Boxes from a company called Wio - its lucky dip as to what you get but you get a range of sizes and they are all pretty exceptional. I got 2 boxes from Wio which were £89 each and I got one from Aquarium Gardens for £44... I fear its a pricing issue on their website but they havent replied to my messages or picked up the phone when I've tried to tell them...

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back