Khuli Confusion

FrankSlapperinni

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've read a lot about khulis and intend on getting a group for a future aquarium. but I've had a problem identifying khulis between "real" khuli's. I was wondering what the Quote Unquote Normal one's are by their latin names.

as in: what is this Khuli?
kloach_05_small.jpg

and this one?
kuhli.jpg

thanks for any help

Graeme, the resident loach expert, told me that the fish in the top pic is a pangio kuhli and the fish in the bottom pic with lots of brown and thin stripes are pangio myersi. I have some of each in my tank.

both are 'real Kuhliis' they're jsut different subspecies.

the top one is the Sumatra Coolie Loach. Sumatra Kuhliis have and orangeish tint to their top half and a pink belly, with brown bars that end as they touch the pink. the bars can easily be told apart.

The Myersi Kuhlii is a bit different. he has a greyish belly and more gold tints, with nice solid and thick bars near the head that slowly get more difficult to tell apart as they get closer to the tail, because they aren't seperated by the gold anymore.

i wouldn't worry much, i've seen both these Kuhliis and completely solid brown Kuhliis getting along perfectly fine in an aquarium setting; they're the same, just different colors =)

(so says the fishie book!)

Most reactions

Back