Kh2po4 Components?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'm not "saying" anything. Just that mono potassium sulphate is KHSO4. I don't know what they are selling.

Also, again, there is no such thing as K2PO4. PO4, phosphate, has a charge of -3. There has to be enough + charges to balance that out. K and H both have +1. K2 would only have 2 +1's, so there has to be another +1 somewhere. Most likely that is H meaning K2HPO4. Or, if it mono potassium (mono meaning one) , it is KH2PO4. If it is unspoken, it is usually safe to assume that H fills in anything that is missing.

That calculator you are using doesn't check for things like charge balance, or that all the bonds are filled. You can put in compounds that cannot exist -- things like CH7. Carbon on has 4 bonds available it, and H only 1, so there is no way to get 7 Hydrogen atoms bonded to 1 carbon atom. But, that calculator will calculate the molar mass of CH7. So, don't be using it as a check to ensure validity of the compound -- you'll have to look in a good chemistry book to find those if you don't know them.

Brilliant answer, thanks BigNose. I didn't realise that the calculator was a 'calculator' as such, I thought it was just a library lookup of compounds, so never realised that you could create non-existent compounds.
Now that I know that it makes a lot more sense!
Also AE have now confirmed it is Mono-Potassium Phosphate, so KH2PO4 :)

Now I can relax - lol

Many thanks again :)

Most reactions

Back