Keeping True Sharks.

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Does anyone here keep sharks?
Lemons,Bulls,Leopards?
I have been studying for a few years and it caught my intrest.
(I personally like the leopards).

Just wanna know if anyone keeps them on this forum.:D :blink: :crazy:

I do not own, but this reminded me of something-

Last time I was at RMS, they had 2 shark egg cases!! When I cupped my hand over the glass, I could see the baby leopard wiggling inside!! And the cases were only approx $24!!

However, I live in the viscinity of an (ex) SeaWorld, who sells sharks, and I assume egg cases as well to the fish store to sell... VERY cool

Yup, they ship alot of eggs out for sale.
You can get a rather large Leopard shark for about $150.00.
(id wanna start very small hehe easier to handle)
They are just such amazing creatures! Smart too.

Moved this topic to the marine section.

While i know nothing of marine set ups or the keeping of sharks i feel that this would be one tremendous under taking,the sheer size and cost of a set up capable of holding a marine shark would be huge.Sharks are free swimming ocean dwellers so any tank would need to be a minimum of 12 feet long by 5 feet wide for juveniles and god knows how big if you managed to keep one alive to adulthood.

Plus how much you would have to feed it. somthing that big is going to need a substantial amount of food, probably more food than you or anyone in you family eats.

The leopard shark gets to be about six ft long.
You can feed it fish, while not a cheap cheap animal to keep, they dont cost a whole lot to keep up.
The aquarium, you're right, it takes alot to build one.
(thats why I wont be doing it anytime soon)
They need clean conditions,etc.

(sorry i posted in the wrong place,figured sharks would be odd balls,LOL.). :blink:

I like to toss questions like this around, keeps my brain juices flowing,lol.
Cause not many can answer just ONE question, they like to answer the (unspoken) ones as well,LOL.

tsavo~ :thumbs:

Wow thats some tank youd need for a 6 foot shark,at 3 times the length and the width being the same as the fish your talking about a 18 foot by 6 foot tank,give it a 4 foot height and youve got 2691 gallons of water.think of the filtration youd need!!!!!

CFC, thats all part of the fun.
Working with animals is my life long obsession,lol. :hyper:
Since childhood i have replicated animals natural enviroments, (we didnt have a computer so that meant going to the library and reading alot of books!)lol.
I like to get it to a "T".
Later next year I plan to build an (animal) "shed", with very stable floors and the like.
My goal aquarium (be it fresh or saltwater) will be huge.
I will probably make it out of plywood with a glass front.
Can you imagine?
Makes me all tingly to think about it!
I was reading about a man who biult an aquarium outside, it was HUGE, and as far as I know it is still in good working order.:).
I can do that here because our winters arent hard at all.
So many ideas! LOL. Man im glad to be in America!
:thumbs: :hyper:

YES,YES,YES, I bought my daughter a shark egg a while back, she hatches it an has been hand feeding it, shrimp,squid,fish, an it is now 12" long an she is growing fine. she was born in a 55 an will be there for a few more months, then moved to the 125gl for some time then into the 300 when she gets bigger, an YES it is a SHE. there are born sexed this one has NO CLASPERS. I have pic,but dont know how to post them. don't see a browser button on the page. SHE will get 3' in captivity so hope she has a LOOONG life ahead.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD REEFIN" B)

CALUSA, I would check w/ the AQUARIUM on thoes eggs most of the city aquariuns that have sharks an shark eggs Iwould say 90% are NOT FERTAL, just a couple of week ago I saw over 30 egg cases in the same tank w/ 3 large bamboo sharks.I asked about them an the VET said that 90% of them will not hatch. cause of being in captivity, anouther AQUARIUM in CALFORNIA does breed an raise them for sale. they have a web page.
if your interested in a pic of an new born. Ill post one on the aquarium page enjoy.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD REEFIN" B)

Heyyyyyyyy, I'm interested in a pic!
Aweeeeee baby sharks are so cute,lol.
You must keep us posted on her progress!
They are selling sharks on aquabid! :eek:
They even have GREAT WHITES for sale.Thats sad,lol.
Poor things are gonna die I bet. :no: :-(
Good luck with your new baby!

Common Europen Dogfish are sharks, of course. Not many people know that ;)

ALIEN ANNA, YES they are! when out on the water, we run across them all the time, have caught plenty of them 2-3' would bea good summer prodjuct, set up a tank an try to keep one, would be a kind of neet. will have to read up on them,
to get more info, BEST thing is won't COST anything, just another day on the water.
thank for that thought.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD REEFIN" :thumbs:

Saltydog, when I've seen dogfish in captivity they are usually kept in a relatively shallow indoor marine pond, probably about 20'x10'. Not terribly practical for the average UK home but it depends if you live in a barn or not! ;)

Most reactions

Back