Juwel 260 Replacement Bulbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Munroco

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My tank is now 7 months old and according to most sources bulbs will need replaced. The tank came with  2x54 Watt 1047mm T5 Chi lite day tubes. I could replace them with the same thing, but should I?

I have a fairly heavily planted tank, mostly swords, vallis and rotalla with half the tank covered with water lettuce. One plant that didn't do well was hair grass. Are there any other types of light I could use or should I stick with the type I have.

Hi,

I think differnt lights do different things and give out different "bands" of light to either help the plants or make the fish look better....

The Jewel website or any place that sells the lights will give you an explanation of what they are good for.

Also, i have been told that to protect the light unit, you should change the white caps that hold the lights every year so that the seal doesnt go. The unit is very expensive and cant really be reparied where as the little caps only cost £6 each....

Good luck.

I've only ever changed my tubes if and when they blow. I don't follow the rules and to be honest, I've not seen any effects from my plants from doing this. They still grow and are still healthy and so there's a piece of me that can't help thinking this 'rule' about changing them at intervals is just another way of getting us to part with our cash. Similar to the filter media 'rule' of changing them every 3 months or what ever ...

I have been noticing algae growing on some plants where it didn't before. Like you I reckon a lot of the replacement thing is a con, but in this case it may be happening.

hmm ... interesting. I seem to get some algae no matter what I do and I've never considered it may be the lights. Perhaps you've got a point. I have been noticing some green spot algae in my glass recently but then I'd increased my lighting time. I've now decreased it again to see if it cures it. If it doesn't then I possibly need to consider that the advice on changing the light tubes every few months is correct :)

I've started getting more algae on the glass too, it's like a fine dust. I had my lights on 12 hours a day.
I've just reduced it to 10 hours a day hopiefully it stops soon :)

same type as me then Tooomsby. I'd upped my lighting time to 3 hours in a morning and 7 hours afternoon/evening. I've knocked it back now to 2 hours morning and 6 hours evening to see what happens.

I had mine set from 8am to 8pm, i usually have the light on in my room till 9pm so they don't go from lights on to total darkness straight away lol. 
I've changed it now to come on at 10am instead

I did read once that you can confuse algae by staggering your lights. This was why I have mine on for a bit in a morning (9.30-11.30am) and then off till late afternoon (4pm - 10pm)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back