Just wondering...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PETERPETER

Reaction score
Have seen salt water tanks at the lfs and they all look very hard to run/set up with all those exotic plants and crazy looking expensive fish which i hear are very hard to keep. but they are so beautiful i would like to know more about what the differences in maintanence between tropical tank keeping and marine perhaps someone could post a useful link for me?

PP Here is a good link to start with Starting a saltwater tank

The biggest differences between fresh and saltwater fishkeeping is price. After that you must be extremely patient. It takes six months to fully cycle a reef tank, period. No getting around it.

On maintenence. Your tanks needs progress as your knowledge progresses. The more "neat" stuff you have, the more care it requires. But since you have to be patient, you research your purchases well in advance and know how to care for them from the outset. It is very rewarding. A reef tank has more biological life in it than any other tank. :)

Probably the most important single factor in marine tanks is water quality, if you keep on top of that you should succeed.

As for the prices yes the do cost a bit, but that reflects the cost of getting the fish to your lfs, also if you pay £60 for a fish your gonna look after it.

Last piece of advice research read lots of books ask lots of questions, the ideas behind reef tanks are changing so yoou have to know what you want and be patient

Six month cycle AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! ;)

I could never cope with the wait!

Tata. The six month cycle is what is appropriate for a full blown reef set up. You can cut the time cosiderably with other set ups.

But the cost of short cuts and mistakes can be brutal!

However, people walk into your house, look at your fish tanks, and don't say much. Then the see a reef tank. The amazement on their faces is worth it. Also reef tanks get the bonus stares due to the generally larger size they are. Your friends and family will think you're crazy when they hear how much you paid for ROCK though.. :laugh:

Then you tell them how much you paid for some sand to go with it then the ring for the men in white coats.

The whole set up is pricey when you think about it. Then the real dilemma takes hold when you understand that the bigger a saltwater tank is, the more stable it is. If you don't mind stringent monitoring of your tank, a smaller one is possible. But the with the smaller size, you loose out on the capabilities of housing a nice variety of livestock. Saltwater fish require approximately 10 gallons per inch of fish, versus one gallon per inch in freshwater.

Great Lakes,

Thanks for link to reef central, very interesting reading.

There are constant references to the high price of setting up and maintaining a marine tank, but no estimates of values.

I know the fish are expensive but the sand, rocks, ro machines, protein skimmers etc i have no idea about.

Can anyone provide an approximate value of setting up a marine tank capable of supporting say 3 fish. Assume that I have a tank, stand and lid only.

Not easy i know, but a ball park figure would be really helpful in deciding whether i can even start to dream about a marine tank.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Can you tell us the volume of the tank that im assuming you have as this has a huge bearing on the cost.

Also do you intend to have a reef tank or fish only?

Leigh, It depends on the type you want to set up.

In my opinion, there are only two types of tanks to keep. If you just want the pretty fish, and a couple of pretty white dead corals, you can do a fish only tank. This requires no more than adding salt to your water, and using a different substrate. It uses mechanical filtration just like freshwater tanks. The lights typically found on freshwater are usually adequate also. Salt for making water will run about 25 dollars for a bag that makes 50 gallons. The substrate, usually a crushed coral, is roughly one dollar a pound. It typically comes in 25 pound bags. So you get your bag of salt, crushed coral, throw it all in a 40 gallon aqurium, cycle it, add your fish. I am simplifying a bit, but there you are, 50 dollars. Downside is, You will be doing constant water changes,($), and forever be seeing cool things you can't keep.

A reef tank. There are two kinds. The biggest you can afford, and Nano reefs. Nano reefs are generally under 20 gallons, and quite frequently, as small as 2 1/2 gallons! Bad things happen real fast here! Nano reefs are the betta bowls of reefkeeping, and not my thing. You are very limited.
Ok Get yourself a big tank, let's say 90 gallons. Here is a list of the minimums to get started;

Substrate, 4-25lb bags
Live sand, 2-10lb bags
Base rock, 30-40lbs
Live rock, 60-90lbs
The biggest rubbermaid tub you can fit inside the cabinet stand.
A canister filter,
Two submersible heaters
Two powerheads in the 150-300gph range
One good submersible pump. 600-800gph range
lighting capability of 500-800 watts
Someone in house that is very adept at putting things together :)

This will get you up and running. You will have more to add later as your tank matures, skimmers, uv sterilizers, calcium dosing, more lighting.. :)

Cost is the issue in the beginning, but a reef tank is rock solid in its stability once it gets stable. You don't have excessive water changes, or a whole lot of maintenece once it is going well if you just want to hold status quo.

Base rock is pennies a pound, not an issue. The salt is an expense at first, but no more than a fish only tank. The substrate,(crushed coral), needs to be four inches deep in a reef tank, hence the four bags, maybe a little more even. The live sand will run about two bucks a pound. It is very beneficial in getting "critters" growing in your sand bed.

The two most expensive items in a reef tank are without argument, live rock, and lighting. Look hard and long, you'll find live rock for three to five dollars a pound. Not at all strange to pay almost nine bucks a pound. If you buy in quantity, you get a better deal. Lighting....If you do it yourself, you can achieve satisfactory lighting goals for about 200 dollars. That includes building a canopy. Buy it ready made? 600-1000 dollars.

Sorry I skipped around a bit. I left out some info, but this should give you some ideas on price.
My advice. Find a reef club in you area. All fishkeepers are tight knit bunches. Reefers even more so. I know of clubs that even get together every month or so to make their own food! They could most likely give you fair advice on who to deal with in the area. Check auctions. I have seen whole systems sell with livestock and all for less than the live rock alone is worth.

After all the money I spent, I don't regret it a bit.

Leigh i wont stick prices here imsure you can look around and price th list of stuff GL gave you.

I will say that if your not looking at spending maga bucks in the uk anyway, you want to look at less than 100gal tank my empty 6ft is 112gal and just that extra 12 gallons upped the price loads. Generaly in the uk equipment is bracketed in to home aquaruiums less than 100gal and store aquria above 100gal an is priced accordingly.

Saying that its worth every penny

And Leigh, a reef tank is for someone who is really into the hobby. A reef tank is NEVER done. Thee is always something you can find to buy. I am currently starting my trek down the coral buying road.

Thanks for advice everyone,

I think I'll go for a fish only tank. I would love a reef but realistically there is no way. Maybe later when i have more money and marine knowledge.

The tank i am getting is 36w x 18h x 12d the largest i can fit in the space i have. Once i've bought it though i need to fill it with water.

I've had conflicting advise. One fish shop has said suitable tap water is ok, the other has said RO is the only way forward.

My tropical fish manage fine in tap water. Is this a good indicator of how well marine fish will fair?

If i get my water tested can someone tell me if it is suitable for marine fish? Also does tap water quality change dramatically, will i need to test it every time i do a water change?

More questions I know, but i am keen to learn as much as possible before i start spending any money, and more importantly I incur any fatalities.

Thanks again people

Leigh

Leigh

I had different advise form different people regarding water before i set up my tank.

I came to the conclusion that ro water is the best way to go as this removes all the chemicals you dont want in the tank, this also will remove all the good minerals in the water but these can be replaced either by the salt you use or other additives.

Thats just my opinion though i am aware of other methods of water purifying but my ro unit is invaluable to me as i have hard water and use the water for my tropicals to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back