Just Wanted To Share!(cycling News)

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
:band: :- :yahoo:

Started with some matured media from an under-stocked tank

DAY 16 of cycling the Rio.125ltr with standard filter.

After 8 days of constantly hitting zero (from 5ppm) in under 8 hours for ammonia and nitrite through the roof, nitrite showed up as 0.5 this morning :hyper:

This is lining up brilliantly for a fish-fest over the Christmas break!

:shifty: Love it when a plan comes together :kana:

Just thought I'd share for all you people waiting for the sky blue result for nitrite (API) There is hope out there, it's just a matter of time :good:
 
Congrats! Sounds like you are getting very close - my own cycle has stalled annoyingly and is processing 4ppm ammonia and resultant nitrite within 12 hours, but not 5... it's really annoying and I don't know why it's doing that, but it's gradually improving. At least SOMEBODY gets to have a total fish fest for christmas... enjoy! lol
 
Congrats Doresy, I am so jelous though, that is MUCH faster than my 'hiccup riddled cycle' (link in sig) - lol
I'm just wondering now whether I'll actually be able to go out and GET my fish before Christmas or if I'm going to need another bottle of ammonia under the Christmas tree instead to keep it cycled until I can get fish :lol:

Laura, I was in exactly the same situation as you, I had been stuck there for ages, in fact it seemed my cycle had started to fall apart with my nitrIte reading gradually being higher each day at the end of 12hrs! Then last weekend I had a replacement tank arrive, so had to do a complete strip and refit, and also 100% waterchange. The ammonia processing took a slight knock from it, but within 2 days of doing that I have now hit 0-0 in 12hrs. If you are stalled, and have been for a week or so it certainly seems like a large waterchange can help get things moving again :good:
Page 4 of my log (in sig) pretty much covers the change over and subsequent test if you wanted to take a look :)
 
Awesome - Just in time to allow you to enjoy a few evenings of nice bright fish filled aquarium illuminating the room while holidaying.

Congrats!
 
Congrats!

I am currently trying to get my tank to do the same also! However, it is taken slightly longer than anticipated, as I was going to ask for shrimp for Christmas, although I would get them on Christmas Eve, and put them in my tank that night..anywho, mine is going to be about a week off Christmas..:( Oh well..

I'm happy for you though.

D.
 
Cheers-all :good:

Suppose I shouldn't count my chickens and all that just yet :unsure:

It is looking rather good though. I almost filled my filter with matured media but it was from a well UNDER-stocked tank so I guess there was not a particularily high bacteria level in it. Either way to get to my stage in the cycle in 16 days is flippin' great.......my last tank I cycled (the little 34ltr) took 8 weeks :crazy: (I though I was on the Tour de France!)

IME adding too a high level of ammonia can stop a cycle in it's tracks (right over the handle-bars, so to speak!) I start with an initial 8ppm (yes high!) when it drops to 1-2ppm then I bring it up to just 5ppm. Temp at a steady 80* or a tad under, 79* to be precise but I guess the thermometer is not the accurate.

I try to avoid doing any water changes at all during the cycle but I do agree, as a last resort a 50% water change can start up a truely stalled cycle but don't be tempted into doing one just thinking it will speed things up.

Oh, can't wait to get home to do my test, I'm expecting blues and yellows. Hope I'm not disappointed :look:

*Edit* Looky looky here! My test when I got home :hyper:
IMG_0876.jpg
 
:hyper: :hyper:

What are you going to have in there?

D.

it's going to be full of rocks and dwarf cichlids.....photos will be forthcoming in a later posting.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top