Just Started My First Fishless Cycle

joshybjoshy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI all

I have just started my first fishless cycle.

Temp - 86F
Lights - off

2 x Fluval U4 filter

I took all test readings at first.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5pmm
ph - 8.0

Just added under 10ml of ammonia as per the calculator so im going to leave it an hour and retest the ammonia again.

Ill update results every day. Please let me know if you think i should start testing twice a day or anything else i should do. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Day 2 Ammonia 4ppm
Day 3 Ammonia 2ppm :good: :good: :good:
Day 4 Ammonia 1.5ppm
Day 5 Ammonia 0ppm - Added 3-4ppm Ammonia - Nitrite 5ppm - PH 7.8 (also added some media from other tank)
Day 6 am (was bored so did some testing - Ammonia 1ppm - nitrite - 5ppm+ - PH 7.4(dropping) Nitrate 20ppm
Day 6 pm Ammonia 0.5ppm - Nitrite 5ppm+ (added another Fluval u4 filter)
Day 7 Ammonia 0ppm - NITRITE 0ppm(tested twice to make sure) PH8.2 - Added 4-5ppm of Ammonia
Day 8 Ammonia 1ppm - Nitrite 5ppm - PH 8.1
Day 9 Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.2 added 5ppm Ammonia
Day 10 Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrie 5ppm+ - PH 8 added 5ppm Ammonia
Day 11 Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0.5ppm - PH 8 - added 5ppm Ammonia
Day 12 Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - Nitrate 40ppm - PH 8 - Added 5ppm ammonia
Day 13 Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - added 5ppm Ammonia
Day 14 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 7.8 Adding bi-carb to bring it up
Day 14 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.3 - added 5ppm ammonia
Day 15 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.0
Day 15 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.0 - 80-90%water change
Day 16 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.0
Day 16 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.0
Day 17 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.4
Day 17 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8.4
Day 18 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8 - 16 fish added
Day 18 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8
Day 19 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 7.8
Day 19 pm Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8
Day 20 am Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - PH 8

Looks like you are off to a good start!

Glad you are doing a fishless cycle!

-FHM

Took me BL**dy long enough to fin the ammonia it seems that in england they have took it off the shelds due to the fact terroists can make bombs with fertaliser and ammonia.

just to let everyone know in UK

Homebase - do not sell anymore
Boots - do not sell anymore
tescos - do not sell
Sainsburys - do not sell
Asda - do not sell

I got mine from a corner shop about 1 mins drive away it was the last place i looked!!

Boots in Barnsley sell it, 49pence. Mind you, we don't get many terrorists up here.

I got some in Homebase in Dundee on Saturday, still waiting for my *swear*ing test kit from eBay though!

its the jeyes kleen off one

i was going round looking at the jeyes cleaning fluid and when i took the top off i thought this don't smell like ammonia and the guy at the corner shop asked me what i wanted it for and said he used it to cycle his tank

i got me test kit from pets at home paid a bit more but i know its all legit and aint gotta wait for it

its the jeyes kleen off one

i was going round looking at the jeyes cleaning fluid and when i took the top off i thought this don't smell like ammonia and the guy at the corner shop asked me what i wanted it for and said he used it to cycle his tank

i got me test kit from pets at home paid a bit more but i know its all legit and aint gotta wait for it
Yup, I read that type of ammonia is good to use. :good:

-FHM

Just tested the ammonia and showing slightly darker than 4 on the api colour chart so im going to say its 5ppm now. do i need to test the nitrite until the ammonia has dropped to zero?

Just tested the ammonia and showing slightly darker than 4 on the api colour chart so im going to say its 5ppm now. do i need to test the nitrite until the ammonia has dropped to zero?
Yeah, you do not really need to test the nitrite until the ammonia starts to drop, or is around near 0 ppm.

-FHM

Sounds good. I would ease the temp back to 84F, keep monitoring those calculator-based adds to make sure you really think its 5 and not 8, 4 would be better if there's doubt. Jeyes Kleenoff has been written up as having a whole bunch of different sub varieties with various additives like fragrances or dyes, so be sure you've got the clear stuff that does not foam. It should only make bubbles for 2 or 3 seconds as if it were water.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back