Just Picked Up A 40Ltr Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hang in there! I presume when you say adding new sponges and ceramics you mean mature ones? That could help, obviously.

If not though, just leave it as it is and sit tight, hoping the levels will go down soon!

Oh, good!

Well if you think the bacteria has died off and the new media will have more on it then it might be a wise move. Otherwise it's probably just best to sit in there. Hopefully not for another 40 days though 
blink.png

It's all the original mature media I added from day 1, I changed the filter to a newer slightly larger version (same make etc) and as there was more room in there I added some extra mature media to the original mature media and after that the cycled stalled and not recovered since. That's why I then decided to drain tank of all water and start again so to speak. I was originally dosing up to 2.0ppm (although was between 2-4ppm) I'm now dosing 0.5ml of ammonia which is showing maybe slightly above 1ppm.

Just put a handful of mature gravel from my 180L tank in a bit of stocking into the 40L tank to see if that will help.

If for some reason (and it looks like they have) the bacteria has died off in the filter. Is it ok to just carry on with the media in there and start again, so to speak. Or do I need to remove the old media and put fresh sponge/ceramics in there? I would have though I wouldn't need too?

I would not remove the media you're working with. The only time I would suggest doing that is if you have new media that is fully mature, and you wanted to try that. But otherwhise, I wouldn't start from scratch with your media.  It might seems like all the bacteria has died off, but it will probably pick back up in a week or so. When you drained all of the water, did it sit empty long enough to dry in the filter? If so, that could have killed some of it off, but you've got to have SOME bacteria left. I think you've just hit a minor set back, don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
flex.gif

Time between emptying and filling back up only around 10 mins so I would have thought that would be fine. But they must be in hibernation mode or gone on holidays (the bacs)!

I definitely don't see any point in replacing the sponges or ceramics. As greenmumma has said, there will be at least some bacteria hanging around (hopefully) and if not it's still worth taking the chance.

If it has died off I sure hope adding the gravel will get things going again soon enough. There won't be much bacteria in it but there will enough for it to start growing again if it needs to do so :)

Just a little update, the ammonia has dropped slightly this morning to 0.50ppm and the nitrites are a shade above 0ppm so hopefully the cycle has started up again. I'm not sure if the timescale will be as if starting from day 1 again or maybe the bacs are a bit slow starting in round 2 ! Will find out soon enough I guess!

Great news, looks like some of the bacteria in the gravel has found a new home 
good.gif

Now it's sit back with your fingers crossed time! (again)

Changed the media a little earlier. I ditched everything apart from 2 sections of sponge to put top/bottom of filter and filled the rest with mature (1 year old) ceramics. Hope this will start things going rapidly!! And I'd better keep an eye on the nitrates this time!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back