Just Picked Up A 40Ltr Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all not posted in quite some time! I just picked up a second hand 40ltr nano tank and the chap who I bought it from said he emptied it a week ago. The gravel is still wet and the filter is still in there etc. Do you think the bacteria is still alive? Also I was thinking rather than put new water in I could put water in from my main tank (which is maintained regularly) what do you all think? Would this be beneficial?

Ive heard that the water in a tank really doesn't contain any of the beneficial bacteria, just the filter. There is some debate on whether or not the bacteria in a filter will die off if not kept wet.  There should be SOME bacteria left though, so I would def. use the filter, and just keep testing the new water. It couldnt hurt to use the gravel either.

Well I filled it up and everything running fine (filter, heater etc) gravel looking pretty gunky though, some sort of fungus (I assume?) that looks like loft insulation! Going to give a good clean out tomorrow and then water test and start adding some ammonia to see whats going on! When cycled hoping to start a shrimp tank up.  Here's a couple of pics (going to remove plastic plant!).

20130220_212550_zps201a37a3.jpg

20130220_212555_zpsa169e0a6.jpg

greenmumma141 said:
Ive heard that the water in a tank really doesn't contain any of the beneficial bacteria, just the filter. There is some debate on whether or not the bacteria in a filter will die off if not kept wet.  There should be SOME bacteria left though, so I would def. use the filter, and just keep testing the new water. It couldnt hurt to use the gravel either.
Was pretty sure that was the case with the water from my 180ltr tank just thought I'd ask. Will have to clean gravel out as it's pretty yucky!

Yeah, i would def clean the gravel lol. Sometimes it helps to have the used gravel, but it won't help to have gross fungus gravel lol def. worth being safer than sorry. I think your filter should have SOME bacteria left, if not most of it! GL!

Well, just gave a clean out, the gravel was pretty gross! I've dosed with 2.1ml of ammonia and now it's the waiting game. Hoping to get a chance of putting some mature media from my mature tank in over the weekend but not in a real rush really as i need to decide what wood and plants etc to go in!

Nanotank1_zpsb0b9e583.jpg

Looking much better! Always amazing what a good cleaning can do ;)

Do you have a layout that you want to go for, or a certain type of look?

I want a little tank to scape 
yes.gif

Hoping to pick up a nice little bit of wood (maybe redmoor) as a central piece and tie some java moss/fern to it, and would like a carpet/grass for the front and some valis at the back but don't want to use Co2 will just dose with some ferts. Probably go for a black background and then see how it goes from there really.

Sounds good. I have java fern and vallis and I dont use co2, just liquid ferts. The carpeting plant will be a bit trickier though, most of them need co2 i think. Can't wait to see it :)

Just a little update. I cut the sponge down in the filter took some mature media inc filter wool out of my external filter and then put the other piece of the small internal filter into the mature external one (still following! lol). I'll test the ammonia levels tomorrow and see if there's anything going on. Also picked up a little bit of Mopani wood today so that's soaking in a bucket at the moment.

filtermedia_zpsda12a181.jpg

greenmumma141 said:
Sounds good. I have java fern and vallis and I dont use co2, just liquid ferts. The carpeting plant will be a bit trickier though, most of them need co2 i think. Can't wait to see it
smile.png

I thought I would have to use co2 for carpeting plants so a little uncertain about that yet. Would love to give it a go if i could do it for not too much money though. I've had a quick loof at co2 systems and they seem pretty expensive.

They do seem expensive.. expensive and complicated and a bit scary lol

Well, just a little updated pic, nothing much going on in there yet! Hope the mature media start's working it's magic in the next week or so. If nothing doing by the weekend I may put some sponge from my mature tank in. Here's another pic, I've added the wood and put a black background on. I soaked the wood for 24hrs and didn't seem to leak any tanins but I was wrong! lol I actually don't mind the colour atm as I think it makes the tank look a little less "sterile" so to speak! 

20130226_074801_zpse83b7133.jpg

20130226_080050_zps1222dae9.jpg

Ohh nice piece ;)   The tannins are good too.. it will be interesting to see if it still has good bacteria or not. let's hope so :)

Just a little update, nothing happening on the bacteria front so i decided to ditch the wool (from mature filter) and add some sponge instead (from mature filter). Hopefully will get some positive results in the next few days. I've also added some java fern to the wood and a single moss ball (from my 180 ltr tank)! I am thinking did I really need to cycle this tank as I'm only going to be putting some shrimp and maybe 10 or so chili rasbora or very similar so i would imagine the bio-load would be very small?

Probably better to play it safe though?

fish.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back