Just not loving it

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm not really happy with this scape, but not really sure where I want to go with it.
View attachment 110561
I like your scape! The rock background with what looks like a root coming out of it... I did the same thing with a 3d background. You have good low horizontal interest and nice verticals. If you have plants with low light needs, maybe add some floating plants that dangle a bit to bring the eye up and entice some fishies up there. Can you camouflage the pot? Glue sand on it if you want to be able to see in.

View attachment 110561
I like your scape! The rock background with what looks like a root coming out of it... I did the same thing with a 3d background. You have good low horizontal interest and nice verticals. If you have plants with low light needs, maybe add some floating plants that dangle a bit to bring the eye up and entice some fishies up there. Can you camouflage the pot? Glue sand on it if you want to be able to see in.
I ended up attaching moss to the pot :) but otherwise the pot is non-negotiable lol its stupid and sorta ugly but the fish love it way too much haha
20200727_195326.jpg

I ended up getting a heck ton of water hyacinth off of a local for free, I tossed a couple in the 55, most in my 46, the rest outside in the garden. So that took care of floaters, I attempted floaters in this tank, they die.

My plant order also came in today, included the anubias hastifolia for the 55 :) I attached it to the arched log.
20200729_152830.jpg

Actually, I didn't like the placement of the anubias so I moved that, tilted the pot a bit, fixed some branches...

20200729_163940.jpg

Better balance :D

And a close up of the hyacinths. Normally pond plants, but I absolutely love how beautiful they are. And the roots are so fluffy.

20200729_163955.jpg

20200729_164339.jpg

Actually, I didn't like the placement of the anubias so I moved that, tilted the pot a bit, fixed some branches...

View attachment 111101

Better balance :D

And a close up of the hyacinths. Normally pond plants, but I absolutely love how beautiful they are. And the roots are so fluffy.

View attachment 111102
View attachment 111103
It's coming together so well! I love it, it's so pretty, and really visually interesting. Can't wait to see it as the plants fill out. Have made up my mind to use my HOB filter on a tank now, I need to have something like that growing from the top of a tank.

Oh, I found some dried out wood the other day! I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure they're all hard woods, and they're definitely fully dried out.. maybe too dry, if that's even possible?? They snap very easily, as my dog is demonstrating here:
DSCF1045.JPG
DSCF1055.JPG

It's coming together so well! I love it, it's so pretty, and really visually interesting. Can't wait to see it as the plants fill out. Have made up my mind to use my HOB filter on a tank now, I need to have something like that growing from the top of a tank.

Oh, I found some dried out wood the other day! I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure they're all hard woods, and they're definitely fully dried out.. maybe too dry, if that's even possible?? They snap very easily, as my dog is demonstrating here:View attachment 111134View attachment 111135
id just peel the bark off those where you can.

I'll be totally honest, I much prefer sponge filters. I run sponge in all my tanks as I've had issues with my HOB. I had 3 HOBs break down this year alone

id just peel the bark off those where you can.

I'll be totally honest, I much prefer sponge filters. I run sponge in all my tanks as I've had issues with my HOB. I had 3 HOBs break down this year alone
I like sponge filters too, I use them in the place of airstones, and to provide some back up, but I run two filters on my tanks. I accidentally popped an airpump for a sponge filter, I didn't know about water check valves then :blush: so I like to have two so there's a spare if one breaks, or I need to set up a hospital tank quickly. But one tank came with a HOB filter that I'm not using, since my tanks are too close to the wall to be able to hang it on the back. But I want a peace lily or pothos growing out of my tank!

Will definitely remove as much of the bark as I can, some is already flaking, and I don't want flakes of bark in the tank, even if it looks cool on the dry wood. Is it okay to boil it, then bake it?

But I want a peace lily or pothos growing out of my tank!
I would love to do the same thing some day! Right now I have a standard black plastic tank lid with built in LED lights...so it would only be possible to have plants growing out of the tank of I were to cut a whole in it and I don't think it would look very good. Eventually I would like to buy a glass lid and new lights, and maybe do something custom for emerged plants or plants growing with their roots in the water.

I like sponge filters too, I use them in the place of airstones, and to provide some back up, but I run two filters on my tanks. I accidentally popped an airpump for a sponge filter, I didn't know about water check valves then :blush: so I like to have two so there's a spare if one breaks, or I need to set up a hospital tank quickly. But one tank came with a HOB filter that I'm not using, since my tanks are too close to the wall to be able to hang it on the back. But I want a peace lily or pothos growing out of my tank!

Will definitely remove as much of the bark as I can, some is already flaking, and I don't want flakes of bark in the tank, even if it looks cool on the dry wood. Is it okay to boil it, then bake it?
If you can fit it inside a pot to boil it, go for it :)

Yeah my two big tanks are both sponge and HOB, but smaller ones are sponge only lol

HOB hate floating plants! Its actually floating salvinia that took out 2 of my filters.

Got around now to adding the black background. Ugh it needed it!

My only thing is I may move the big orange flat Rock. Its mostly there to create a natural cave for our pleco and to hold down the arched log. Once that log totally sinks, I think I will place it flat somewhere else.
20200730_211002.jpg
20200730_211308.jpg

Beautiful! Wow, the black background really does make a huge visual difference doesn't it.
I can also hear a cockatiel or two, and you need to change the batteries in your smoke alarm ;)

Beautiful! Wow, the black background really does make a huge visual difference doesn't it.
I can also hear a cockatiel or two, and you need to change the batteries in your smoke alarm ;)
Yeah we got 2 cockatiels and yes we gotta change batteries haha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back