Just Had My First Batch Of Guppy Fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bazzbeen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello there fish lovers! just had my first batch of guppy fry,im over the moon!i only had 2 females in my tank,and they were both giving birth at the same time!after i frantic 30mins or so ive managed to save around 20 fry which are now in my breeder tank,I was wondering if any1 can advise me on feeding and water changes etc,i was reading that the fry dont need fed for the first 3 days,is this true? and also how often do they need fed when they are ready to eat and also can you feed them crushed flakes or do youn need to buy fry food!Any advice will be very welcome!

Start feeding now crush some flake down to a very fine dust
The best feeding guide is little and often I try to feed at least 5 times per day
If you sprinkle a tiny amount on the top of the water you will see then dart for it when it starts to sink keep watching and you will see there stomachs expand as they take the food then if you see food still on the bottom of the tank you have fed them to much
Next feed give them a little less you will soon get to know just how much to feed
If you know how to do micro worms give them a try as these will live a wile in the tank so if you give them a few to many they will pick at them as they go
Water change same little and often this will help the fry to grow

So would u say two 20% water changes twice per week would be enough? and how long do the fry say in the breeding tank for?

So would u say two 20% water changes twice per week would be enough? and how long do the fry say in the breeding tank for?
20% twice a week is fine
it is up to you when the fry can leave the tank as this depends on what you are intending to do with them
lets say you want to keep them and fill your main tank
so when the fry have grown large enough for the other fish not to eat them (this depends on what fish you have in your main tank ) you can the put them into the main tank this can be between 4 or 8 weeks depending on how fast they grow

any1 any tips for checking rid of crushed flakes that are lying on the bottom of the breeder tank?

To get rid of flakes that are left over on the bottom of the tank, you could use a turky baster to suction up the food from the bottom. Congrats and good luck! :)

Isnt it a good idea to have some at the bottom?
I know my babys will kick up the food and then eat some if i havent fed them for a few hours.

Seems like it was a good idea to me to keep atleast a little on the base.

My tanks large so i dont think it affects water quality much, could be wrong - Anyone know?

Left over food will affect water quality for fry,it's best to clean up behind them,food soon decomposes if left and holds little value to growing fry.

i aint got no turkey baster,any1 got any other ideas to get rid of the crushed flakes that the fry have left behind????????????

i aint got no turkey baster,any1 got any other ideas to get rid of the crushed flakes that the fry have left behind????????????

have you got any airline that runs from your pump 4mm
you can use this to syphon the food out
better still if you get a long bristles artist paint brush put the airline all way down to the start of the bristles put elastic bands on to hold it and you have a tank cleaner that sucks the waste up but if the get near when the bristles touch them they will dart of and not go up the pipe

Cheers ive syphoned it out with 4mm air pipe,it worked a treat ! ta!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back