Just had a though about blood parrots

-=DG=-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was in the shop and the guy had a tank of maybe 20 BP's. So there must be millions of them around the uk.

But as they are 'made' is each is every BP sold hand made ie people with eggs and baby gravy of the two fish and mixing and growing them?

If so thats a lot of work!

Any ideas?

Cheers

DG

DG,

There have been reports of BP spawning, but a hybrid is STILL a hybrid is STILL a hybrid..........................

CM

cichlidmaster said:
DG,

There have been reports of BP spawning, but a hybrid is STILL a hybrid is STILL a hybrid..........................

CM
Yep hybrids will always be hybrids, but i was just wondering how they manage to churn out so many of them.

BP's spawning! Would that mean that they would be classified as a species?

Something like "Jurassic Park"!!

I recently read this, thought it would interest you:

Sucess Story!!

"I recently spoke with sue on the PJ Tropicals Freshwater Message Forum. She had a post titled: New Blood Red Parrot Mom!!!! Of course I was excited about this news and asked her to elobrate. Here is excerpts of her story taken from the message board:"

3-14-2000
Fry was noticed in the tank. The parents came from an lfs. They are the result of her 2 blood parrots breeding at the shop. The parents have perfectly formed-bodies, mouths, and fins.

Sue

3-16-2000
I bought these fish 2 weeks ago(tomorrow). When I saw them(3 pair), I ask if they were Blood parrots because they look like parrots, but they are perfectly formed. The owner of the lfs said they were Blood parrots and the offspring of her two that mated. I was immediately taken by them and bought the largest pair. Both are light pink. The male is about 3" including tail;the female is about 2". The female has light orange mottled markings on her abdoman and the base of her tail. Both have a light tourquise coloring at the edge of their fins-kind of irredescent. Both have light blue eyes with large black pupils. I think they are between 4 and 6 months old. Their parents are about 1 year old and are still a creamy pink color(I'm waiting for the shop owner to call back with more info).I went to several cichlid sights last week trying to identify them(color aside) and didn't come up with a match. On the site you sent me to, the closest Red parrot would be #02270"Blood parrot king kong", but still mine have no beaks or lumps on the head. The closest picture as far as body form was #02500 "Cichlasmoa maculicauda".

Sue

3-17-2000
They are American citizens. I am trying to get more info on their lineage, but I havn't heard from the lfs. The 75G tank I set up on Feb. 13th. Did a fishless cycyle. Cycle was finished on March 1. I did a 100% water change on 3/2 and added 1/2 cup salt.I added 3 pair of long fin rosey barbs(about 3")and 1 pair black marble angels(about 21/2->3")on 3/3. I added the pair of blood parrots on 3/4. They immediately made a nest under a big piece of driftwood right by the Fluval 404 intake(I keep a sponge on the intake).I never saw the eggs-of course I really wasn't looking for any. On 3/11 I vaccumed the tank with a HOT Magnum, but decided not to move their driftwood since they were new and didn't need any more stress. On the night of 3/15 I realized they had fry!Thank God I didn't vaccum under there!!The temp of the tank I keep at 82F and the PH at 6.8.In the week before the fry, they had 1 meal of live brine shrimp, 1 meal of frozen blood worms,and a combination of Hikari Cichlid staple pellets,Nutrafin Max complete pellet food,Wardley total tropical,TetraMin Pro tropical crisps, and Nutrafin spirulina flakes. I never really saw them eat much, since one of them usually stayed in the cave and the other was guarding it.I think this was "just let nature take its course". The only plants were a couple of fake ones(Plants+)-since I'm still waiting on delivery from ThatPetPlace. The sustrate is black gravel with a little dark blue mixed in(1/4" size). For filtration I am using a Fluval 404 and a Penguin 1140 powerhead(mechanical).I shut off the power head because there was so much current. I turn it on for about an hour a day. I am feeding them 1 cube of frozen baby brine shrimp 3 times a day. Nitrates are 5-10ppm. I'm going to order Omega One fish food from B.J. soon.

Sue

3-19-2000
They have been eating since the first night I saw them. They evidently get "stuff" off the driftwood and gravel, because they are always grazing. And, of course, I'm giving them the frozen baby brine shrimp. I think I should vacuum some of the gravel, but I'm a little hesitant.

Sue

3-23-2000
Boy, do they eat and grow! They are beginning to resemble real fish. The are getting wider now(not just longer). They are about a 1/4" long.I can see their little guts pretty well now. I think a couple of them have been hogging the food. Still no casualties.

Sue

3-25-2000
They actually have fins and tails today. All have two eyes,one head and one tail. Some are still small compared to the others-maybe females-but no deformities that I can see yet. I still think 50 is a closer number. I started feeding Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets(soaked in tank water) along with the frozen BBS.

Thanks and Congrats Sue! Keep us posted.

I thought it was neat. Many people don't know that there are in fact many different types of Blood Parrots......some have virtually NO hump on the back and they are all beautiful in my opionion!!! :wub:

Silver

i love my BP"biggie"we call him :D
i got him a few yrs ago before i new how it was"made".now i think he's one of the best cichlids i've ever owned :wub: BUT!!knowing what i know now B) i'll never buy 1 again :/

"Most commonly found in the trade is the Red Blood Parrot. Despite the name, these fish are generally a gold-orange color with a small amount of pink found on the throat and behind the head of the males. They can obtain sizes up to 10 inches. Females are usually smaller in size and lack the pink coloration.

The second most popular type seems to be the Purple Blood Parrot, like the latter, it's name is also deceiving. This fish is a bright red color with some parts of the coloration so deep and brilliant it appears to be a purple, hence the name Purple Parrot. There is some controversy as to whether or not these fish are "dyed". To my knowledge these fish are NOT dyed but are just a different color morph.

The following four types I have not been able to obtain any information on other than the pictures. If anyone keeps any of these, or has information pertaining to these types, please e-mail me. As far as I can tell, these fish are larger in size and have a little different body shape, but this is just speculation. I have e-mailed azoo.com requesting more information, we will see what they say":

Lo-hann
lo-hann.jpg

King-Kong Red
king_kong_red.jpg

King-Kong Purple
king_kong_purple.jpg

Dar-mo
dar-mo.jpg

Jelly Bean Parrots and BubbleGum Parrots

This type of Parrot is not a true Parrot Cichlid at all. What I have gathered is, Jelly Bean and Bubblegum Parrots are a cross between a male convict and a female blood parrot. They are then usually died bright colors like, green, blue, pink, red, purple, etc.

There's been many cases of Jelly Beans and Bubblegums being able to mate and produce fry. This breeding is often mistaken for true Blood Parrot breeding, so don't be mislead by these reports.

Just a little more info!!
Silver
:*

Silver - i nearly fell of my chair reading that. But thanks to mostanks responsible reply i regained my balance :)

So will these ofspring be given credit as 'real' fish and a latin name?

hmmm....interesting stuff silver,my bp is the same color as the lo-hann in your pic but it's face/head is shaped a little different,also mine is atleast 3yrs old(maybe a lil older)but is only about 6"s-possible female??? :unsure: can they be sexed by their fins??my BP has long dorsal/anal fin extensions.

DG - What do you mean his "Responsible Reply"???? -_- :/

Mostanks....did you email me!!??? :S :/ -_- :p

I don't know about sexing the BP. I guess a good rule of thumb would be that Yes, females are smaller and I've heard that the male tends to get a pinkish throat color and I don't know it that's with age or when mating or what. I don't even know if mine is a male or female. How do you judge whether Red Devils are Male or Female....I assume since that is how they began (?) that we'd tell the same way as that. Just a thought.

I guess I will check my email??!! :wub:

Silver
:*)

Edit: Yes I did get your email!! It was in reply to mine.....DUH!! :rolleyes: I have noticed that my Red Hook Silver is WAY more skiddish than my "Silver Dollar". They were suppose to both be Red Hooks, but one is obviously not. How could I tell what type he is? He is by far the MALE and not nearly as skiddish. But he keeps trying to mate with the Red Hook so maybe he IS a Red Hook too and Just doesn't have the hook, but that's pretty dumb...don't you think? My adult Red Hook has shaved his/her nose off in a fit of panic and it took a good 6 weeks to heal up and he/she ran into my thermometer and shattered it all over the place. But the other one...the one in question...is calmer (maybe captivity born) and is more comfortable. I think that the Red Hook may have been wild caught....that would explain the overly skiddish behavior.

What are your thoughts??

Silver
:*

Most reactions

Back