Just For Interest.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crazy fishes

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello there forum,

I thought while I have a minute I might as well as share some of my recent results with you. As many of you may know lighting can be a little tricky but what it all boils down to is PAR. I have been out in the sunny weather that has hit the british isles recently and found something quite remarkable. I have taken measurements from my 125W 14K halide situated approximately 8 inches above the water. At the water surface it records an average of 300 micromoles/meter2/second. If you take that down a further 8inches ie. 16inches in total 8inches under the water it is reading approximately 120 micromoles/meter2/second. This incidently is insufficent to keep a maxima clam as I have found out as mine completely bleached. I am in the process of bringing it back to full health with the help of phytoplankton and it is showing quite encouraging signs. Now the interesting bit is the reading obtained in cloudless sunny sky (from Brighton South East UK for you chats outside this country). It was approximately 25 C and readings averaged on the PAR meter 1800 micromoles/ meter2/second. That is approximately 6x the energy per meter2 per second!! Hence Maxima clams really do require shed loads of energy to remain health and the coral species we keep as standard stock really are the most wonderfully adaptable creatures around. That is a hugely energy depleted system in comparison to nature. Shop keepers keep telling me that a 125W halide over a 24G is overkill, but by my recent findings it is just about right.

By the way the site is looking pretty good; nice upgrades. (sorry haven't been round for a while if it been like this for sometime)

Kindest regards

Joe

I find it odd that you wouldn't be able to keep a maxima under what you have as it is quite a bit amount. The interesting thing about bleaching is that it can be from lack of light OR too much light that it has not been appropriately acclimated to. Interesting none the less.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back