Jungle Val keeps dying in 50 gallon low tech tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Antoine Smith

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon low tech tank with with amazon swords, a Nubians and other plants. All these plants do very well but my jungle val continuously to turn yellow and eventually die. I dose once a week with flourish excel. I have a big als brand sand substrate. I leave my lights on 15 hours a day and have good lights bulbs that I bough from my lfs. Thanks for your help!

Flourish excel is highly toxic to Sp. Vallisneria. fifteen hours is to much, get a timer and turn it down to eight.

As already noted, Excel will kill Vallisneria species outright in most cases, along with some other plant species. It is not a good additive in any planted tank, for fish or plants. I won't get into that at the moment.

Second comment, lighting...the duration may be a problem as another member mentioned, but more importantly is the intensity and spectrum. If the swords and other plants are thriving, this is likely not an issue for you. But, Vallisneria (aside from the Excel issue) is faster growing and thus does need more light intensity (along with nutrients in balance) than the other plants mentioned, so it might not be a good choice anyway. Also, Jungle Val (which is the species Vallisneria americana) is a large plant, with the leaves growing easily to 3-4 feet; Kasselman says 7 feet is possible. This plant is not the best in smaller tanks, but the light is probably too restrictive here.

Byron.

Also, Jungle Val (which is the species Vallisneria americana) is a large plant, with the leaves growing easily to 3-4 feet; Kasselman says 7 feet is possible. This plant is not the best in smaller tanks, but the light is probably too restrictive here.

Byron.
This is very, very true. And couldn't have been explained better.
Vallisneria (im in AR) naturally grows in Americas largest trout farm (grows and releases trout), idk exactly what they use it for but its all over right before a huge damn/waterfall where the fish flop over into one of the streams leading to the main river.
That vallisneria (believe its giant val.) is at the least six feet in height, not including the rest of the "leaf" that is bending over which is most likely another two feet or so. I have tried keeping Italian val. in my five gallon, did work but just didn't get the results I wanted within height, spread more through width, (not meaning runners.) So I do suggest a large tank.

Half your excel dosing, some species of Vallis tolerate it better than others, I've found that at half dosing it grows as normal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back