Julii cory dying...

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PygmyPepperJulli

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, false julii was fine. Last night, it was a bit tired and wasn't moving around much, but still swam and didn't have clamped fins or anything. This morning, still no clamped fins/rapid breathing etc., but is rolling around on it's side. This is exactly what happened when the other one started dying from suspected parasite or bacteria in brain. No other fish are showing symptoms. Do not know water parameters, however I have been keeping up with regular water changes (about 30-40% twice weekly, no test kit). Will do all of colins emergency hospital stuff ASAP. Not really sure what else to do. Don't want to quarantine it as last time I was told it wouldn't be contagious and I don't have a qt tank, so it would be stuck with no filter or heater and that may make it worse. As none of my other fish have done this other than the julii that died, I suspect it was from LFS and has been hiding, but I really have no idea. Euthanize? If it helps I've had the fish for about 3 months with no issues. Really, really annoyed (and upset, but I don't feel as upset if I'm annoyed) as it was my fave, but at least I guess it won't need a school in the new tank :unsure: . Will attach pics when can.

Last edited:
UPDATE- did emergency stuff (wiped down glass, did large water change). Will add salt according to instruction, when I get home, but that won't be for ages, so not sure what to do. Any ideas? None of the other fish were sick at all when I left, so am thinking it was just the LFS as when the previous julii died I was told it was probably from there. Feel free to correct me if wrong. Other than salt, what can I actually do?

Well, it’s dead. Pics are attached if anyone can ID. Dosed salt anyways in case it was contagious.
The black thing in the second pic is a piece of bark. It seems to lose all its colour in its midsection, but that may have been because it died. I’ve learned my lesson-don’t buy expensive fish, because they die the easiest, and don’t get attached to them. At least the other fish were respectful to the corpse- no nibbling whatsoever. They did the same thing when my gourami died too.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Sorry you lost your fish, were you able to check water parameters either before or after you did the water change? Unfortunately it seems like once fish lose their ability to self-right and swim properly there isn't much that can be done, but I've no idea what could've caused it.

Sorry - I didn't see that to try to help, although I don't think help would have existed. The exoskeleton Corys have hides problems til they are very advanced, in many cases.

These things can come from the store, but we also keep our fish like we kept ourselves before we got scientific about our bodies. They're on their own medically, and personally, I would have died several times if not for medications or surgery, and no one would have had a valid expectation to understand why. A cory can live 10-12 years, but there is a huge element of luck involved, even if the conditions you're keeping those trilineatus in are perfect. Fish vets are rare, and fish diseases aren't. Effective treatments are really lacking, as are diagnostic skills.

Reading you, you are good at this and the fish you choose are fortunate. Unfortunately, health luck has not been with them.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if I sounded a bit passive aggressive, I was just feeling a bit upset.

I couldn’t check the water parameters sorry, because I currently don’t have a test kit. I was about to buy one, however my cracked tank that had been doing very well and was cycling (no fish, at least) just failed and therefore I now have to spend $300 on a new one (another reason I am slightly touchy at the moment).

It is true about the sheer amount of diseases and things that can go wrong with fish- I guess I’m also pretty fed up with people going ‘fish are such easy pets!’, keeping them in incredibly poor conditions and then their fish living for years and years while I do my best to keep them happy and they die within a few months. Such is life.

SIP, little guy.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if I sounded a bit passive aggressive, I was just feeling a bit upset.

I couldn’t check the water parameters sorry, because I currently don’t have a test kit. I was about to buy one, however my cracked tank that had been doing very well and was cycling (no fish, at least) just failed and therefore I now have to spend $300 on a new one (another reason I am slightly touchy at the moment).

It is true about the sheer amount of diseases and things that can go wrong with fish- I guess I’m also pretty fed up with people going ‘fish are such easy pets!’, keeping them in incredibly poor conditions and then their fish living for years and years while I do my best to keep them happy and they die within a few months. Such is life.

SIP, little guy.
It's definitely frustrating, especially when we don't seem to have a cause that we can pinpoint. Would def recommend getting a decent test kit before the next tank - it can pinpoint any early issues that might be contributing to your losses (not saying water quality is the cause but without it you never know).

Sorry your cracked tank didn't work, but at least it didn't have fish in it and you didn't lose even more. Not much comfort atm I know. I can't recall what fish you have left but your current tank may be sufficient for a while longer.

The cracked tank failed? That's a shame. It was a good try.

You have a DIY eye from what I read here, and you aren't afraid to try things, from a sensible, grounded point of view. You don't need some random internet guy saying this, but I see you having a lot of future fun with tanks. You are inventive.

Sometimes, inventions go wrong. Sick fish from the fishfarm industry are a game changer for the hobby. The profits are quick, but so is the amount of time many hobbyists spend in the hobby because of buying unwell fish. It's mightily discouraging. A cracked tank is worse. I hope you can find a better one soon, and get back to the enjoyable side of the hobby.

The old blues line "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" comes to mind.

If I were on a limited budget (wait, I still am) I would focus on the tank. A test kit can be useful and interesting if you are fishless cycling a tank or you live with polluted tap, but otherwise, it's a luxury expense. If you are a numbers person, you'll enjoy one. I just do water changes on a regular, organized basis, and never have problems. A kit like the API Master one is so incomplete it tends to be harmful (a little controversy here). Instead of learning about fish diseases, how to avoid them and how to try to treat them, we blame everything on the cycle. In some cases, people believe a reading showing safe levels of ammonia means they don't need a regular water change, with a total misunderstanding of how complex water is. So save your money, get your tank and do water changes. If the fish you have are healthy, they'll stay healthy unless you introduce a disease, or unless bad luck hits them individually. If you buy sick fish, the test kit will tell you nothing.

You have a DIY eye from what I read here, and you aren't afraid to try things, from a sensible, grounded point of view. You don't need some random internet guy saying this, but I see you having a lot of future fun with tanks. You are inventive.
Thanks. You may be some random internet guy but I take that as a high compliment :).

Holidays are coming up, so if I work my fingers off I should be able to pay off the new tank (someone is picking it up for me tomorrow and loaning me the money until I can pay it off) soon(ish). So at least it’ll be cycled soon and all the cramped little remaining fishies can swim free in a 50 gal tank (slightly smaller than the crack one, but it has a warranty, so no complaints…. Other than the price). I would love to just not own a test kit to save expense, but I do understand that it can be important (especially for cycling this new tank). the API seems excessively expensive where I live, is there some cheap alternative that anyone can recommend? It can always go on the Christmas list…

Sorry your cracked tank didn't work, but at least it didn't have fish in it and you didn't lose even more. Not much comfort atm I know.
Thanks. I guess I was mostly disappointed cause it had been holding without any problems beforehand… but it is true that it didn’t contain any fish, and also that it didn’t explode and get water everywhere (I came in to check the other tank that sits right beside it and there was a puddle on the floor… crack had expanded and was dripping. Out came the buckets and an entire garden hose snaking through the house to drain the water before the entire side became little deadly sprinkles all over the floor carried by a tsunami of very tannin-y water ;)).

I saw your thread about the cracked tank yesterday and felt bad about you losing that nice big tank after getting such a great deal on it and the stand and all. I'm glad it didn't dampen your drive to keep going and try again. I'm sorry about your little baby and understand the panic that comes when you see a fish going downhill and having no way to just fix it and get them back to swimming upright and happy again. I think we've all had a fishy baby that makes our heart drop and we can't do anything but say, "No! Please be alright!" I personally try not to name a fish or "get attached" until it's been in my tank about 3-4 weeks, when I know it has had time to acclimate to my tank and it's tankmates and really settled in and found it's place. I hope your new tank cycles well and your setup and fish finally give you some peace. As for kits, I just use JNW test strips (100 for under $15 on Amazon, in a black bottle) to check my nitrate/nitrite and do a 25% water change Mon & Fri, and vacuum (~30% water) every 3 weeks in spots where stuff may build up, if needed. You've got the head for it and you've definitely got your heart in the right place, so I hope this new tank is just a dream come true for you!

Most reactions

Back