Journey Through Puppyhood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yea.
We have a short black leash, nothing much to it. It's shorter to help me control her.
I can't believe she's already almost 10 weeks old. It's crazy.

Bluesand, it would be better for Piper not getting rewarded for looking at the treat. Wait until she looks at you, then reward her. This will be very helpful later when you are trying to teach her new things. By looking at you rather than the treat she will be more focused on you and what you want her to do.

I am still trying to teach our little rescue dog exactly that, so she will be less focused on the triggers that make her react with barking and more on me keeping her calm!

It's OK for now, since you're actually achieving your aim, for her to be calm and focused, but you can now take it further and wait until she looks up at you, then reward her quickly with the treat! :)

That's a good idea Meeresstille! I use the reward technique for sitting at the kerb and whenever I stand still whilst we are out (in case I want to stop and talk with someone). Will make sure she looks at me from now on before she gets the treat/reward.
How do you stop your dog from barking at strangers and other dogs? I'm trying to distract her before she starts and mostly it works altho not always especially when she decides to bark at an inanimate object that I hadn't anticipated would set her off.
Sorry if I've hijacked your thread, Blue - if you like I can ask Meeresstille if I can PM her, but I thought it could be interesting for you too.

I'll gladly answer your question, Mamashack, but my dog and I are still a work in process as well. I learned a lot after I found this great dog forum, when I did a search about a problem I had with my dog! I'll PM you the dog forum, since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here. You will not regret having a look there! :)

I'm working on teaching our dog "leave it". It works somewhat at home when she sees triggers like seeing other dogs pass by the house through the window. On walks it is still hard for her, and I try to avoid passing by other dogs by either changing direction, crossing the street or stepping off the path!!!

The way you teach "leave it" is you sit with your dog and have yummy treats. You put one treat on the floor and tell her leave it. When she looks at you, you give her a treat. You move the treat on the floor closer as you see her understand the concept to make it more tempting, and continue treating her when she looks either away from the treat, at you or anything else but the treat. This will probably have to be done over the course of a few weeks with daily exercises. 

It seems like you are already doing great getting your dog to focus on you when she is confronted by strangers. You can add to that a "treat party"! A "treat party" is when she is confronted by her trigger you quickly drop treats in front of her, just let it rain treats. They will have to be high value treats for it to work, like smelly cheese, boiled pieces of chicken, cooked liver.....It will counter condition her into associating good things happening to her when she is close to her trigger.

Setting your dog up to meet strangers or other dogs is a great way to do these exercises too. You start by treating her for looking at the trigger and then at you. If she reacts with barking then the distance is too close, you will have to increase the distance between you and the trigger to where she is comfortable and relaxed. Keep treating her, making the encounter positive. With many of those encounters successfully behind you shorten the distance, keep treating......I hope this makes sense!?

Seeing that your dog is already doing quite well, I think she will learn this quite quickly. For most it can take months, and even years, like in the case of our little rescue! 

Oh, and do a search on Kiko Pups on you-tube. These are great little videos to learn how to train your dog in positive ways! :)

Naw, it's fine. My thread can help anybody. :3

I don't really have a problem with her barking at things. She almost never barks.

Just the biting, that's the only problem.

Thanks Meeresstille - I got your PM and I'll be having a good look at the website later!

Nawwwwwww she's so cute!!!!!
You're so lucky how well behaved she is, she'll be learning all sorts of tricks soon.

One trick I found handy was teaching Fred.E to wipe his feet after going toilet. It seems rather stupid but it's actually really handy as the grass is often really muddy so it saves it being walked all through the house.
The way I taught Fred.E to do it was using the fact that he hates his feet being wet, so I just made sure to bring treats on wet days and I then just reinforced him wiping his feet by giving him a treat every time he wiped. He does it on command now :)
I'm not sure if Piper would wipe her feet but I'm sure there'd be many other things that she does that you can reinforce. :)

She's not well-behaved at all lol
She's crazy.

But she's smart, she knows Sit, Stay, Come, Down, Watch Me, Leave It.... all in only two weeks!

Thanks! She is very smart, I'm so proud of her. And she\'s so big now!

Just came back from puppy socialization classes today! LOTS of fun for Piper! Met a new best friend called Sadie, which we believe is a Belgian Malinois, but we aren't sure. And there was a golden retriever named Buddy there too, but she didn't like Buddy cause he was 4 months old. Too big for her.

WARNING: PICTURE OVERLOAD!

944715_550274735035957_1030530784_n.jpg

1044745_550276598369104_680936707_n.jpg

Unsure of the bigger puppies

Oops! Entered too early!

1044628_550274821702615_1385541118_n.jpg

This isn't what it looks like lol

1010698_550276398369124_1060961955_n.jpg

1069184_550277505035680_387501982_n.jpg

1044504_550277548369009_357277618_n.jpg

1044619_550276498369114_1791019500_n.jpg

1011475_550276528369111_560695645_n.jpg