Journey Through Puppyhood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

She's doing good with potty training, for a puppy. She's had five accidents already (Oh dear) but she's so sneaky about them. She goes where we can't see her and then she goes. She's starting to hold it though until she can get outside, so that's good.

She nips a lot though. She likes hands and feet and hair to bite. And she doesn't listen; if you tell her no, she just wants to do whatever it is you're telling her not to. I think we found a solution though, we'll just have to see. We try redirecting her to chew toys but half the time she just goes for your fingers even though her chew toy is like, right in front of her face.

Good thing though, she's best friends with my next door neighbour. xD He'll come and play with her and give her a little ruff-and-tumble for a few minutes. It tuckers her out and gives her the kind of play a regular dog would give her. She gets so excited whenever she sees him now, it's so cute to watch her run around with him, she doesn't bother doing that with me.

When she bites or nips try making a shrill noise like you've really been hurt (even if you haven't) and that usually stops them in their tracks and she'll want to kiss it better. You'll probably have to do it quite a few times til she gets the idea. 

In addition to Mama's tip, try teaching Piper a command for kissing. When my puppy Huxley is getting too mouthy, I correct her and say "give a kiss" while holdin out my hand. Instead of eating my fingers, she kisses them and gets praise.

Lol she's twitching in her sleep.

I tried making a high-pitched noise, but she just gets more excited and bites harder, so I don't think that works. :/

I can try teaching her to give kisses, but it'll have to be after she learns 'Lie Down', otherwise she'll be learning too many things at once, I think? That's what my mom said, at least.

I'd just stop play time every time she starts being nippy! Say "no" in a firm but matter of fact (not mean) kind of way and walk away! Keep trying that and she will realize that the fun stops when she plays to rough. 

She is such a cutie though! It must be so exciting watching her explore everything and learning every day! :)

Yes, it is! It's exciting watching her figure out how to hold the bones in her paws and how to retrieve. 

Meeresstille said:
I'd just stop play time every time she starts being nippy! Say "no" in a firm but matter of fact (not mean) kind of way and walk away! Keep trying that and she will realize that the fun stops when she plays to rough. 

She is such a cutie though! It must be so exciting watching her explore everything and learning every day! :)
We do this some, as well, but I rather am fond of redirecting, so that when I do correct her, it means far more to her. Also, when I'm training, I believe that you should always start and end on a positive note, which is why I like teaching "kiss" early on, as it is a great starting and ending command as most puppies will do it eagerly.
Oh, blue, how's she been sleeping? Are you guys getting up a bunch in the night?

attibones said:

She is such a cutie though! It must be so exciting watching her explore everything and learning every day!
smile.png
We do this some, as well, but I rather am fond of redirecting, so that when I do correct her, it means far more to her. Also, when I'm training, I believe that you should always start and end on a positive note, which is why I like teaching "kiss" early on, as it is a great starting and ending command as most puppies will do it eagerly.
Oh, blue, how's she been sleeping? Are you guys getting up a bunch in the night?

Yes, definitely makes sense! :)

Seeing how important it is for a puppy to develop her bite-inhibit this method is another way, just to give options! 

If Piper does not seem to understand not to nip, maybe it is confusing to her if she is allowed to play this way with one person, but not with another!?

I guess all dogs are different - Ginger stopped nipping and mouthing quite quickly with the "hurt" yelp.
I agree with Meeresstille in that consistency is the key - whatever you decide to do make sure you do it every time and everyone else too.

@attibones: She's sleeping very well! Though she learned to jump off the bed so last night there was a piddle on the floor >.> I think I'm just going to keep her in the kitchen at night now. 

@everybody: She has naps all the time, and is Hyper Piper when she wakes up. That's when I have the most trouble with nipping. But now, she's learning. When I'm teaching her the 'Lie Down' command, she has to wait until she gets the treat. If she bites my hand or nips at me to try to get the treat, she doesn't get it. She had to just lie there and look at the treat, and then she gets it. And boy, that's helped a lot! She doesn't nip as much any more, like when I sit down she doesn't come over to me and start biting me, or when I pet her she doesn't bite me any more. Only when she's super excited. So I'm happy about that.

I must be pretty boring, cause she sleeps almost 24/7 when it's just me in the house. xD

Puppies do that a lot at this stage whilst they are still growing and she obviously feels relaxed around you and clearly isn't worried about you. As she gets a bit older she'll sleep less and be more active and wanting to be entertained.

Mamashack said:
Puppies do that a lot at this stage whilst they are still growing and she obviously feels relaxed around you and clearly isn't worried about you. As she gets a bit older she'll sleep less and be more active and wanting to be entertained.

And then she'll reach another point in her life where she'll just want to sleep and be entertained less.

I'm glad she's doing well though. Have you started teaching her about walks? Huxley just had her second two mile walk today (and her second for real walk), so I'm curious to see how your puppy is doing in this area.

We haven't gone for walks yet. She doesn't have her second set of shots.
Though she hates the leash when I take her out at night and I don't want her wandering off. She bites at it. Ah well, she's usually good on it when we go across the complex to visit the dog across the street.

In case you are wondering, our vet said that as long as the other dog is up to date on all it's shots and is healthy, she can be with them. So we go for play dates. And when we walk there, for most of the time she already heels! It's great.

In the UK we are advised not to take our dogs out into any public areas where any other dogs may have been until 1-2 weeks after their 2nd shot.
Ginger used to chew at her first lead/leash which was fabric so I got a chain one that she's not so interested in. She isn't very good at walking to heel so we are stopping every time she pulls forward ahead of me and then starting when she's settled. There's so much for them to learn and it's a bit over-whelming for them to do it all at once.

Most reactions

trending

Back