Journal – Breeding German Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi)

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If they do have fry i will sort some out for you.

Fingers crossed.

LP

hi bud you need some live plants in there as these fish will feel more relaxed mine breed in a community tank but my pleco ate there eggs.

I agree, i have some in my main tank that will be good to propagate soon into this one.

LP

I do not believe what i have just done !

Until i have some plants that i can move from my community tank i have just been to P&H and bought some cheap plants. Easy to care for cabomba(which i hate), Vallis, and what i think is amazon swords i cannot remember as i just wanted out of the #41#### store !

Anyway at least they will have a little more cover until i can move some from my main tank.

Does anyone know if its a good idea to add ferts for the plants in the breeding tank or could it disrupt things ?

Cheers
LP

I actually got some moss balls and amazon swords from P@H weekend just gone, they were top quality as it was a fresh delivery :D

I wouldnt bother going too bananas mate, most breeding tanks i've seen have a bit of java moss or a few moss balls and then caves at most. I'd just stay super low tech and see how they get on else it might start getting expensive :D

Seachem Flourish & Seachem Flourish Excel. One is a fert the other is liquid carbon.

James.

I actually got some moss balls and amazon swords from P@H weekend just gone, they were top quality as it was a fresh delivery :D

I wouldnt bother going too bananas mate, most breeding tanks i've seen have a bit of java moss or a few moss balls and then caves at most. I'd just stay super low tech and see how they get on else it might start getting expensive :D

I would rather keep the tank as it is now. But i just worry they may feel a little OPEN. The plants i got are not the best quality and i may even change my mind on adding them.

LP

Seachem Flourish & Seachem Flourish Excel. One is a fert the other is liquid carbon.

James.

Cheers James, i have TPN+, Seachem Flourish & Seachem Flourish Excel & dry ferts. Im just worried that if i do start adding them that it could cause water problems and rams can be fussy especially when breeding them, well that was what i hear :D

LP

Aren't they adorbable little fish ? I had a pair for 2 years and they really were characters. The female used to swim over to snails when she saw me and stare at them closely until I picked them out and squished them for her then she would eat them from my hand!! :lol:

Buy some moss balls - they are really useful as Infusoria for any fry you might get. Also buy yourself a liquid feed for fry so you are ready if they lay. Dont be upset if the first half a dozen egg lays amount to nothing as they sometimes take a while to practice before they get it right! Good luck! :good:

Hello Gilli, they really are great fish. When they flare up they are amazing to watch. Like i said earlier they all have there own little character.

Thanks for the pointers as well.

LP

Ok i have just added the plants. Like i say i have gone for easy plants that will just give them cover a little and make it feel more natural for them.

I have not tried to be fancy with arranging the plants, i just wanted them for cover.

Ok this photo is taken from the entry into the garage. I have also adjusted the angle of the cave and the plant pot so they are facing away from the entry.
IMAG0544.jpg

And here is a shot from the front of the tank.
IMAG0546.jpg

Also i am still unsure what to add to the water for the plants. As i do not want to upset the water to much for the rams. So any help on this would be great.

Cheers
LP

Got a nice clean simple look to it, good job! I seriously hope a batch of fry is on it's way soon :hyper:

James.

What are you feeding the Rams? Sorry if you've mentioned earlier in the thread?

James.

No worries James i do not think i have mentioned it.

I mainly feed frozen bloodworm and half a dozen small cichlid pellets daily. Then once a week as a change i will be feeding live brine shrimp.

LP

No worries James i do not think i have mentioned it.

I mainly feed frozen bloodworm and half a dozen small cichlid pellets daily. Then once a week as a change i will be feeding live brine shrimp.

LP

Do i hear DIY brine shrimp :good:

Most reactions

Back