Jen's 90 Gallon Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Thanks!

The tetras are great. Up until this morning, they were the only 'fish' in the tank. Just a couple cats to keep them company. They are very playful, and active swimmers. Really utilizing all the open space in the tank. I hadn't heard they were nippers, so I will watch for that - especially since I want some Congo Tetras in there.

I forgot to take pics of that end, didn't I? I will do that this evening. I picked up some Limnophila sessiliflora, Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis', and Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia''. I just planted up the back corner, and moved the lily over a scosh to the right.

I also picked up an in-tank pH tester today. Best $10 purchase ever. Since my co2 mishap, I have been checking the ph all the time... daily at least.

Here are the plants on the left. The Limnophila sessiliflora has grown so much already. I can't see any difference in the other two as of yet, but it has only been 5 days.
jan24left.jpg

There is a junkload of algae on the glass still, but I am slowly making a dent in it, and im sure the open back only makes it all the more visable.
tank2007-01-24.jpg

Thats looking great Jen, really nice :) One comment, would it be worth moving the lotus? Think it might get a bit big and imposing where it is now? Perhaps behind the Limnophila? Just a thought

Sam

The tank looks great Jen! So nice to see it again. I'd give the lotus some time, I actually like what it's doing now, and it really depends on the growth. If it stays compact, it might be too much. If it is allowed to reach the surface, the only thing you'll have there are stalks with floating leaves and a few smaller leaves in the bottom, which could create an unusual effect.

Blue tetras are great fish. I love mine. I'd wait a week too, but they are extremely active fish. Almost like a danio in many ways. They need a lot of swimming space.

If I were you, I'd watch your kribs. They will breed in that environment and kribs don't behave like rams or apistos, can't keep one male and several females. A pair is generally best, and that at times, doesn't always work either. An established pair will seek and destroy the odd man/woman out. Or, worse, the two females will pester the male literally to death to get him to breed with them. For their size, they can be pugnacious. I lucked out and got a great pair, but I have heard my share of disaster stories. You do have the space for another pair, so another option would be to get a man for that lone female. Then, one pair will go to one side, an the other pair to the other side, not kidding. Generally speaking, you can keep one pair for every 30g of water, so you technically have room for three pairs, but I would err on the side of caution and only keep two, they'll appreciate the space. Actually, the blue tetra is a great tank mate for them, so :good: . Your pictus might get picked on when they breed.

llj

Thanks for the comments.

Sam- I am intending on letting the Limnophilia grow big, and hopefully make a bushy section in that corner. I recently pruned the lilly back, and got rid of the really tall/really big leaves as it was getting to stalky. I intend to keep it at at maximum of 3/4 of the tank height - so around 18 inches tall, with leaves at different heights to aviod seeing only stems. That is how I have done it in the past, I just let it slide for a while.

Llj - I am certanly not lacking of swimming space for those tetras. They are still rather small, but they are always moving. It's great. Do you have any pictures of yours? I wasn't sure about the kribs when I got them. The store sold them as 3 for $x, and they are normally good at making sure fish are sold in the appropriate numbers, so I trusted them. I think I got the only male in the tank of that kind, so I might go back and see if they have any other sorts available that would work. I don't have any intention of breeding them, but if they do on their own, all the better. I might be able to raise them and sell them. That would be great. I will deffinately keep an eye on my pictus as well. I do have lots of hiding spaces in there, but fish are tricky, and if they want to bully someone, they will find a way.

Jen, it's looking great. Your Kribs are gorgeous, some very nice colors.

One question for you tho, how is that in-tank PH tester? I've been thinking about picking one up since it would be much easier to monitor CO2 levels with one. How reliable and accurate, in your experience, is it?

Llj - I am certanly not lacking of swimming space for those tetras. They are still rather small, but they are always moving. It's great. Do you have any pictures of yours? I wasn't sure about the kribs when I got them. The store sold them as 3 for $x, and they are normally good at making sure fish are sold in the appropriate numbers, so I trusted them. I think I got the only male in the tank of that kind, so I might go back and see if they have any other sorts available that would work. I don't have any intention of breeding them, but if they do on their own, all the better. I might be able to raise them and sell them. That would be great. I will deffinately keep an eye on my pictus as well. I do have lots of hiding spaces in there, but fish are tricky, and if they want to bully someone, they will find a way.

Pictures?! :shout: You ask for pictures of the Blue tetra?! Ha ha! I laugh at you, you very funny lady! :lol: You will get a lovely blue blur. :hyper: My camera is not that good! :lol:

I actually gave away kribs for some time to a LFS in exchange for supplies. The owners had mostly females, I had mostly males, pairs sell best, so we were able to help eachother out. Then, I lost my Gracie (the pair were named George and Gracie) and George really never bred with another female, though I tried. The sex ratio is determine by the acidity or alkalinity of the water. A neutral pH gives a nearly equal ration, more acidic gives more females, and more alkaline gives more males. They're a cichlid and a nice one to boot, so I don't think you'll have a problem giving away fry for supplies. Your setup is almost ideal to allow fry to reach a sellable age, especially if you adopt survival of the survival of the fittest policy.

Well I learnt a lot about blue tetras and kribs there! Thanks Jen and Llj :) might considered blue tetras for my next tank (when I eventually get it!) always thought they were too nippy, but I love the colour when I see them in the shop and no doubt that would only get better once home :) a massive shoal of 20-30 would be awesome! and give a nice colour variation from the neons.

Sam

So far I love the pH tester. I only bought it yesterday, so I only have 1 day of experience with it. I couldn't get the one I wanted - the Seachem one. It is supposed to last for 3 months. I got the wardley one, and it is good for 4-6 weeks. The colours are spot on. None of that 'Well, It could be 6.2 or 6.4...' It either is or it isn't. It's not exaclty the nicest looking thing, but it sure is easy!

Thats ok Llj. I can get a decent shot of mine, but I wondered how they look as adults. That was a good bit of information, wasn't it!

I really would like to have a big school of them... It would be gorgeous to see them swimming in a big group.

when i see pics of your tank... i'm filled with this mixture of jealousy and admiration

Wow Jamie. thank you so much. That is quite a compliment. I am actually blushing.

The sessifloria has easily grown 6 inches. The other 2 plants havn't done much as far as I can tell, but with the sess. growing so fast, I don't know if I could tell anyway.

I was able to pick up more of the blue tetras, so I have about 20 in there now. They have yet to form up and shoal, but it has only been like 12 hours.

I also scraped practically all the algae off the glass, and as soon as things settle, and i get the black back on again, I will post a picture. (as much as I love the wainscotting in my basement, it doesnt exactly make for the nicest backdrop for an aquarium)

Any more updates Jen? Sorry to hear about your loss. My favourite fish is dying at the moment with swim bladder.

Looks like your tank has changed quite a bit! can't wait to see new pictures!

Mines always the same here, one day i'll redo it all!

Have you thought about a PH monitor at all?

take it easy

Most reactions

Back