Java Moss Doesn't Float

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
hi everyone,

today i got two golf ball sizes of java moss from my lfs. I went home to float the java moss in the tank for a week(so it will multiply). First i rinsed it under cold(but not too cold) water, and iput a peice of airline tube tied in a knot in my tank to act as a floating fence. I spread the pieces out on the water surface but it just sank. Now i'm not sure what to do. I have a little container which i could fill with my aquarium water and could put the moss in for a week(until i get some slate to attach it to.could i do this? It had been sat in the shop bagged up with a little weater for a few days. Would changing the water every day help. I coulkd sit it on top of my tank to keep the temp steady, and couild move a light over to the tank to give it some light. would the java moss live for a week with these conditions?

thanks everyone.
 
Ive never heard of floating java moss, i thought it always sank. Are you sure you havent got it mixed with riccia. I know that if you float riccia on the surface it will double in a week.
 
Java moss isn't supposed to float. You tie it onto rocks and wood the same as java fern and it spreads. Riccia is the one that floats, although a lot of people do tie it down like java moss too.
 
If you have one of the bioballs that float, wrap the moss around it and tie it on with some fishing line. It is not my idea but I have done it and it gives the appearance of java moss floating. You could even tie the ball to an ornament or rock in the tank and hold the ball right where you want it. It can even be tied to be suspended part way to the surface and just seems to hover there in the middle of the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top