Java fern roots growing where?

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there, my Java fern is growing and the roots are growing off the driftwood into the water down to the gravel. What do I do with the roots?

Feel free to trim the roots when doing water changes. There is nothing wrong and it is a sign that the plant is thriving. If you are using liquid fertilizers cut back on the dosage and the root growth will probably slow down. Over feeding your fish may also be a factor.

My java fern was healthy but now a few leaves started turning brown near the root, then spread upwards until its completely brownish yellow. In the image lots of other leaves are healthy and have lots of plantlets. Is this a nutrient deficiency?

Attachments

• 20231028_084234.jpg
    20231028_084234.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 36
Could be iron or nitrogen deficiency.
Could be old.

Do you dose ferts or anything?
Just checking- the rhizome isn't buried in the substrate, is it? If it is, pull it out :)

Mine does that too. It used to bother me but now I just let it go.

Could be iron or nitrogen deficiency.
Could be old.

Do you dose ferts or anything?
Just checking- the rhizome isn't buried in the substrate, is it? If it is, pull it out :)
Thanks. I dose with Seachem flourish twice a week. I'm pretty new to planted tanks...is there a different supplement you would recommend? No, the rhizome is attached to a piece of driftwood

Mine does that too. It used to bother me but now I just let it go.
Thanks...I'm fine if this is localized to these 2 or 3 leaves but I was concerned that if I don't do something different than it will spread. In your experience is this just a naturally thing happening if it's only to a few leaves?

Seachem Flourish (the Comprehensive Supplement one) is one of the best as it contains most of the nutrients plants need. Though being slow growing Java ferns don't need as much as fast growing plants.

When I had Java fern there was always the odd leaf turning brown; I just pulled it out once it was loose enough.

There is evidence in the photos of black brush algae, so you may have too much light. Java Fern is slow-growing, and in my experience does best with floating plants above it.

Forgive me, as I am new at aquatic plants, but I sure know OUTDOOR plants... isn't it perfectly normal for ANY plant to cycle through older leaves? Removing the old stimulates new growth. Can't the brown leaves in the photo simply be old and need to be pruned?

The brown leaves, yes. But I would not remove the green.

Remove dead leaves. However, you may find a baby plant growing near the tip of the leaf. Pull that off as you will get a new plant from that.

edited for a ton of typos

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back