Java fern only scape

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

9darlingcalvi

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon and only using the 3 main forms of java ferns; "normal", "needle leaf", and "trident". Would this be good for a college betta tank? All it would have would be a betta with Pygmy cities and an algae eating shrimp? Could the ferns handle being moved every few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon and only using the 3 main forms of java ferns; "normal", "needle leaf", and "trident". Would this be good for a college betta tank? All it would have would be a betta with Pygmy cities and an algae eating shrimp? Could the ferns handle being moved every few months?

That would make a nice little set up, sometimes just having one or two types of plants in a small tank makes it more interesting.
I only have java ferns and anubias in my 5 gal tank, and i love it. Simple is better in some cases ;)

Though am not too sure if ferns or any other plants for that matter much like being moved from tank to tank every few months.

Am going to assume you mean Pygmy Cories (not cities), these are the smallest 'cories' you can get though they do not really behave much like cories imo :lol:
But yeah, reckon you could keep some of those in a 10 gal though that the very minimum size tank imho, remember to get at least 6+ of these guys, they are a shoaling species.

I agree the Java Fern would be good here. This plant attaches to wood or rock (the rhizome must not be buried in the substrate) so it is easy to move within the tank (if that is what you meant). Moving it to another tank usually present little problem, though I have found that like most plants this can slow it for a time, depending. It may be the light more than the water that does this. If the "moving" was meant to be moving the entire tank home or something, then this shuld cause little if any problem for JF, much less than substrate-rooted plants.

Pygmy cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) are rather delicate fish. You must have sand, and they will be healthier in cooler water (say 75-76F max). They do not do well at warmer temperatures. I personally would not combine them with a Betta. The Betta might not take kindly to these little fish bumbling around, and they tend to stay in the upper water much more than many cories so this can be even more problematical. The Betta would likely be happier alone.

Byron.

Okay, I'll just stick with a betta and for plants java fern with annubias. Then maybe amano shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back